Onion Egg Recipe or khageena is a famous Indian Hyderabadi dish which is usually eaten during breakfasts with roti. It is commonly called as khageena in hyderabadi lingo.
It is usually made with frying the onions and adding eggs. It appears mostly like scrambled eggs . I have been eating this simple dish since childhood and its one of my favourite recipes.
Also check out another authentic egg curry recipe from hyderabad which is very delicious and tastes amazing…
Onion Egg Recipe can also be made when we are short of main course ingredients at home. Only few ingredients are used in this curry but gives out a good flavor.
Onion Egg Recipe makes a great side dish which can also be eaten with rice. Also check out various egg recipes here such as tomato korma curry, tomato onion egg curry.
Do check out instructions on making this Onion Egg Recipe or Khageena.
Onion Egg Recipe
- 2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 – eggs
- salt -to taste
- 1/2 – tsp red chilli powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 2-3 green chillies slit
- 2 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves
Instructions For Onion Egg Curry/Khageena
- Heat oil in a pan, add finely chopped onions and fry onions until very slight golden brown.
- Once the onions are done, add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and stir, then add little water to avoid burning of the masala.
- Beat the eggs and add it to the onion masala. Stir slightly, add green chillies which are finely chopped and let the onions cook well on sim/reduced heat.
- Lastly, add finely chopped coriander to the Onion Egg curry.
- Serve with rotis or parathas.
Notes: If one wishes to replace red chilli powder with only green chillies then it can be done. One can add as many beaten eggs as possible. The taste of khageena is tasty if the onions are turned slightly brown. But if one wishes to keep the onions normally cooked then that too brings out good taste.Mint leaves can also be added to enhance the flavor of the curry.