Palak katli is a hyderabadi dal recipe which is made with yellow lentils and spinach. This is a very common recipe not only in hyderabad but also in India.
Toor Dal or arhar dal (lentils) are added to spinach, combined and cooked well with an aromatic tempering. For the dal recipes good tempering is essential as it lifts up the flavors of the dal and its ingredients. A slight tangy flavor is given to the dish to make it even more tastier.
This Palak dal recipe is very tasty to eat and any vegetable fry or fries go well along with this dish. Palak dal recipe is very common in Indian households. Here I am with another dal recipe which is a must try to get rid of same dals which we make at home.
Dals are not so common in Hyderabadi households but among few dals Palak katli or palak dal recipe which I have posted here is one of them and other popular dal recipes are kaddu ki dal, mutton ki dal etc…Palak Ki Katli or palak dal recipe
For Tenderising Dal:
- 1 cup toovar dal/toor dal(yellow lentils)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 cups spinach chopped
- 1-2 green chilli
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 -3 tamarind(imli)
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 2 tsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 dried red chillies
- 4-5 curry leaves
Instructions For making Hyderabadi Katli
For Tenderising Dal:
- Firstly, in a pressure cooker, add toovar dal, turmeric powder, spinach, green chiliies, red chilli powder, curry leaves, coriander leaves, tamarind, add 1 cup water, add little oil.
- Pressure cook the dal on sim flame for about 4-6 whistles or till the dal is cooked well or tender.
- Mash the dal by adding salt.
For The Tempering:
- In a saucepan, add oil, add mustard seeds, add cumin seeds and allow it to splutter, add dried red chillies stir well and add curry leaves.
- Transfer the whole tempering to the mashed dal.
- Serve the dal with rice or rotis.
Notes: Before cooking dal it can be soaked for a while inorder to cook it quickly. If you are in a hurry then it can be pressure cooked with many whistles. In the tempering asafoetida/hing can be added along with garlic to enhance the taste of the dal. Fried onions too can be added in tempering.