Tomato rice is a traditional south indian rice recipe made using tomato flavors mixed up with cooked rice. Its a common breakfast cum lunch rice recipe quite popular all across south india.
The color of the rice is so appealing and attractive and the taste of the tomato rice is quite yum.
Tomato rice is usually referred to as thakkali sadam down south or tomato bath.This is mainly served in many tiffin centres down south and it can be made in different ways with slight variations.
In the region of karnataka tomato bath or any bath recipe is very commonly made and it can also be packed as kids lunch box recipe.
I am sure tomato bath is loved by many kids and I love to make this dish as it is an instant and quickly made thakkali sadam.
There are many many rice varieties that can be made and I shall be posting every variety with time and as I continue blogging recipes…
I have already shared many rice recipes which are instant and are good for breakfast and also for kids…
This recipe requires basic tempering and to it we add onions and tomatoes to get a perfect gravy that is quickly mixed with white rice…However slight variations can be made here and there…
Below are the recipe details to make this lovely red color attractive rice recipe which can be eaten with any pickle or it can simply be finished by eating plain…
I have also shared a video version of the recipe for a better understanding…
Video procedure for tomato bath or thakkali sadam:
How to make tomato rice or thakkali sadam or tomato bath:
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp mix of chana dal and urad dal
- 3 green chillies vertically slit
- 3 dried red chillies
- 7-8 fresh curry leaves
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 3 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- salt - to taste
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1½ cup rice( 200 gms approx...)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves for garnishing
- Cook rice in 3 cups of water, a pinch of salt and rest the cooked rice aside for further use.
- Firstly, in a deep wok/kadai, add oil and heat it.
- Into it, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and allow it to pop up.
- Add chana dal and urad dal, stir well.
- Add vertically slit green chillies and dried red chillies into it.
- Stir it up well.
- Add curry leaves and let them crackle.
- Add chopped onions, mix well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix up well.
- Add salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Cook the tomato gravy well until soft, mushy and till oil oozes out from the sides.
- Add the cooked rice into the tomato gravy, mix everything well.
- Cook the tomato rice for about 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
2.Here I have added many ingredients for tempering which can be skipped if one does not wish to include any of the ingredients and yet retain the perfect taste.