Toor Dal Recipe is a dal made with yellow lentils and this dal is made by adding fresh green leafy vegetable called as purslane leaves in English lingo. These leaves are called as kulfa in Hyderabadi lingo.
The toor dal recipe also spelled as toovar is full of proteins and I highly recommend using dal or lentils as your daily diet as they contain lots of health benefits.
Kulfa Katli from Hyderabadi cuisine is a dal made usually in hyderabadi households and the aroma is lifted up by adding a bunch of kulfa leaves or the purslane leaves to the toor dal recipe.
The dal making is very simple and quick in procedure. A tadka is given to enhance its flavor and made more interesting to eat by adding green leafy vegetables.
Dal can be made by adding different kinds of vegetables and green leafy vegetables. I shall be updating my blog with different kinds of dal recipes.
This toor dal recipe made with kulfa is very simple and made by adding all the ingredients all at a time and pressure cooking them together, mashing and finally giving a tadka to it.
I usually prefer making this dal during summers as I find these leaves available mostly during summer. I managed to find the telugu version for the kulfa leaves and it is gangavayala koora/Gangapaayala/Peddapaayala/Peddapaavila aaku koora.
I prefer using toor dal many a times as it has got many other benefits than just proteins. It has got carbohydrates which gives us a plenty of energy, fibre which helps in preventing constipation, folic acid which is very much essential during pregnancy for women.
Detailed instructions on making Toor Dal Recipe or Hyderabadi Kulfa Ki Katli:
Toor Dal Recipe with Purslane Leaves,Kulfa Ki Katli Hyderabadi
- 1 glass toor dal/yellow lentils/pigeon peas
- 1 large bowl kulfa/purslane leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2-3 green chillies
- 2-3 to matoes finely chopped
- 1 small sized onion finely sliced
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 inch tamarind
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 glass of water appoximately
- 3-4 curry leaves optional
- salt- to taste
For The Tadka:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 3-4 dried red chillies
- Firstly, in a pressure cooker, add washed toor dal.
- Into it, add kulfa leaves or purslane leaves.
- Add green chillies, turmeric powder, curry leaves, coriander leaves,tamarind,sliced onion,chopped tomatoes.
- Into it add red chilli powder,few drops of oil.
- Add enough water to pressure cook and mix well.
- Pressure cook it until dal gets tender or for about 3-4 whistles on medium flame.
- Mash the dal finely by adding salt.
For The Tadka:
- Take a sauce pan, add oil,cumin seeds, mustard seeds, allow it to splutter, add dried red chillies, curry leaves,saute well.
- Add the tadka to the mashed dal.
- Dal or Kulfa Katli is ready to be served with roti or rice.
2.Secondly, adding kulfa leaves while pressure cooking is not mandatory. The leaves can be added after pressure cooking dal and then cooking leaves until they get soft.