Spicy vegetable rice recipe is basically neither a biryani variety nor a pulao but a rice recipe with different vegetables. It is a twisted form of mutton tahari recipe which is made only with vegetables .
Check out other tahari recipes made using non veg such as mutton tahari…
This is an amazing variety of rice recipe for the vegetarians as the vegetable rice recipe is so yummy which can be eaten just plain without any side dish.
Since my blog is a mix of all recipes , I would love to serve my rest of the readers with so many varieties of rice recipes to choose and make from my blog. This post of mine is a vegetable tahari recipe or vegetable rice recipe which has got masala and spicy touch in balance so that it can be made during several occasions.
This Indian rice recipe is a favorite with my family as it is a variety recipe of rice which does not require lots of hardwork. This dish tastes good if made with either vegetables or mutton and usually these recipes are termed as tahari or tehri based on the actual ingredient used that is vegetables or mutton into it.
I would be posting many different varieties of rice recipes so stay tuned and keep watching this space and leave us your feedbacks or queries related to my blog posts.
This post of vegetable recipe is a mixture of rice and any vegetables such as carrots, beans, potatoes and peas with additional ingredients such as yogurt and tomatoes which are cooked well.
This is a hyderabadi style of making rice recipe where different kinds of veggies are mixed in rice and add flavor to the rice by adding whole spices and making this as a special main course lunch or dinner recipe.
It tastes best with raita or bagara baingan or mirchi ka salan
Let us take a look at the instructions on making this recipe with vegetables and rice.
Detailed instructions on making Vegetable Rice Recipe or Hyderabadi Veg Tahari Recipe:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp shahi zeera caraway seeds
- 2 medium sized onions finely sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup chopped or diced potatoes
- 1 cup chopped beans
- 1 cup carrots cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup peas or matar
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 - 3 slit green chillies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 4 - 5 curry leaves optional
- 1 small lemon extracted juice
- 5 cups of ordinary rice or basmati rice
- 10 cups of water approximately
- Firstly,take a pressure cooker, add oil and heat it, add bay leaf, add cinnamon stick and shahi zeera/caraway seeds into it.
- Add sliced onions and fry till slight golden brown, add ginger garlic paste and saute well.
- Add all the washed and cut vegetables, carrots,potatoes, beans, matar/peas and fry them for few minutes to get rid of the raw smell of vegetables..
- Add chopped tomatoes, add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, slit green chillies, mix and cook well for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add beaten yogurt, add chopped coriander leaves, add mint leaves.
- Add curry leaves too but it is an optional ingredient.
- Mix and cook the whole mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and pressure cook the vegetables for about 2 whistles.
- Reduce the steam and rest is aside.
- If there is lot of water present in the curry then allow the water to be absorbed by placing the curry on the stove on sim flame or add little water while pressure cooking the curry.
- Wash and add the rice into the vegetable curry.
- For 5 cups of rice add about 8 to 10 glasses of water, add lemon juice and mix.
- Pressure cook the rice and vegetable mixture for about 3 whistles.
- Reduce the steam and serve hot with any raita or can be eaten plain.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
2.If basmati rice is used then make sure to soak the rice for about half an hour.
3.If one is using cooking vessel instead of pressure cooker then the curry and rice can be mixed in a cooking vessel and cooked together until rice is done.
4.Spices such as cloves,cardamoms can be added too to enhance the flavor of the dish.