veg pulao recipe, how to make veg pulao
A quick and easy rice recipe which is a special rice delicacy made by mixing veggies in flavorful rice.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 2 tbsp oil
- whole garam masala 2 bay leaves, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 cardamom, 3-4 cloves
- 1/2 tsp shahi zeera caraway seeds
- 3 onions finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- 8-9 green beans cut into long slices
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into slices
- 2 potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup matar/green beans
- 3 green chillies chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp mint leaves/pudina
- 2 tbsp yogurt/curd
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups rice approx... 600 gms of rice
- 1 tsp lemon extract
Firstly, take a pressure cooker, add oil and heat it.
Add whole garam masala such as 2 bay leaves, 2 small cinnamon sticks, 1 cardamom, 4 cloves, shahi zeera and saute.
Add sliced onions, saute until onions turn slight golden color.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell disappears.
Add veggies such as chopped green beans, sliced carrots, saute these veggies first for few minutes as they have more raw flavors in them.
Add diced potatoes, matar, green chillies.
Mix and saute all the veggies for few minutes.
Add salt as per taste and saute until the veggies change their color and the veggies release oil.
Add yogurt, coriander leaves, mint leaves and mix well.
Cook the vegetable masala for few minutes and until oil starts leaving the sides.
Add water and here I have added 5 1/2 cups of water into it (for 3 cups rice, add 5 /12 cups of water).
Add rice and mix well.
Add salt as per requirement.
Add lemon extract into it.
Cover the pressure cooker lid.
Pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium flame.
Switch off the flame.
Reduce the steam.
Remove the cooker lid.
Serve the rice with raita.
For pressure cooking:
1. Do not pressure cook on high flame or low flame. Rice gets burnt at the bottom if pressure cooked on high flame.
2 If you are making 2 cups of rice, then add 3.5 cups of water and pressure cook.
For normal and slow cooking in vessel:
1. Take the rice and water proportion in such a way that is if rice is 1 cup, water quantity should be of 2 cups.
2. Instead of pressure cooking, we can even cook in slow cooking method, that is after adding water and rice, cook the pulao until rice is cooked completely in a vessel.
We can add vegetables of our own choice and additional veggies like paneer cubes and cauliflower florets.