Veg pulao recipe or vegetable pulao is another rice delicacy made by mixing veggies and rice. It is a simple pulao recipe made by giving aromatic flavouring to the rice and adding vegetables to the flavoured rice. Other pulao recipes on the blog are chicken pulao, mutton pulao etc.
Earlier I shared a veg biryani in cooker recipe which was quite easy and quick to prepare and that was a bit spicy flavorful rice dish and veg pulao recipe is a bit less spicy, light and yet is very flavorful.
Also check out other interesting recipes with vegetables such as veg biryani in cooker, veg fried rice etc...
Veg pulao can be slow cooked and can also be easily and quickly pressure cooked. In this recipe I have pressure cooked the rice and it turned out amazing.
We can add different varieties of vegetables and the best vegetables that are perfect to use to make any mixed vegetable recipe are potatoes, carrots, peas, paneer, cauliflower etc...
For more tangy flavors one can also make use of tomatoes too and I have used curd.
This recipe is made by giving an aromatic tempering initially with some aromatic garam masala, then sauteing the veggies in those flavors and then adding the rice and cooking altogether.
We can make use of any rice that is ordinary or basmati to make any rice recipe. I have used ordinary rice as the grains of my ordinary rice turn quite long while cooking.
One can also make use of basmati rice and it is very easy to use. We just need to soak the rice for 30-35 minutes before using basmati rice and then add the soaked rice into the pulao.
Veg pulao is also referred to as vegetable pulao and some people give very light flavors to this pulao and some prefer to give heavy flavors and the main spices that give heavy flavor are star anise and stone flower which are commonly used in restaurant style of making veg pulao or veg biryani.
Here I have made it light by skipping heavy whole spices like star anise and stone flower and one can add them to make it a recipe suitable for several occasions and this pulao can be even packed for our lunch boxes and for kids lunch.
How to make veg pulao:
veg pulao recipe, how to make veg pulao
- 2 tablespoon oil
- whole garam masala 2 bay leaves, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 cardamom, 3-4 cloves
- ½ teaspoon shahi zeera caraway seeds
- 3 onions finely sliced
- ½ teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- 8-9 green beans cut into long slices
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into slices
- 2 potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- ½ cup matar/green beans
- 3 green chillies chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves/pudina
- 2 tablespoon yogurt/curd
- 5 ½ cups water
- 3 cups rice approx... 600 gms of rice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Firstly, take a pressure cooker, add oil and heat it.
- Add whole garam masala such as 2 bay leaves, 2 small cinnamon sticks, 1 cardamom, 4 cloves, shahi zeera and saute.
- Add sliced onions, saute until onions turn slight golden color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell disappears.
- Add veggies such as chopped green beans, sliced carrots, saute these veggies first for few minutes as they have more raw flavors in them.
- Add diced potatoes, matar, green chillies.
- Mix and saute all the veggies for few minutes.
- Add salt as per taste and saute until the veggies change their color and the veggies release oil.
- Add yogurt, coriander leaves, mint leaves and mix well.
- Cook the vegetable masala for few minutes and until oil starts leaving the sides.
- Add water and here I have added 5 ½ cups of water into it (for 3 cups rice, add 5 /12 cups of water).
- Add rice and mix well.
- Add salt as per requirement.
- Add lemon extract into it.
- Cover the pressure cooker lid.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium flame.
- Switch off the flame.
- Reduce the steam.
- Remove the cooker lid.
- Serve the rice with raita.
1. Do not pressure cook on high flame or low flame. Rice gets burnt at the bottom if pressure cooked on high flame.
2 If you are making 2 cups of rice, then add 3.5 cups of water and pressure cook.
For normal and slow cooking in vessel:
1. Take the rice and water proportion in such a way that is if rice is 1 cup, water quantity should be of 2 cups.
2. Instead of pressure cooking, we can even cook in slow cooking method, that is after adding water and rice, cook the pulao until rice is cooked completely in a vessel. We can add vegetables of our own choice and additional veggies like paneer cubes and cauliflower florets.