chicken rezala recipe, murgh rezala
A bengali style of making chicken curry commonly called as chicken rezala.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
For frying onions:
- oil for frying
- 3 medium size onions finely sliced (to golden fry)
For masala paste:
- 2 onions
- cashewnuts/ kaju - 8
- poppy seeds/ khus khus - 1 tbsp
To make chicken rezala:
- 500 gms chicken pieces cleaned and washed well
- 3 tbsp oil
- whole garam masala (3 cloves, 2 cardamoms, 1 medium size cinnamon stick, 1 bay leaf, 2 whole dried red chillies)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 4-5 slit green chillies
- salt to taste
- 1 cup yogurt/curd beaten well without lumps
- blended masala paste (paste of boiled onions, kaju, khus khus)
- 1/2 cup golden fried onions
- 1/2 tsp kali mirch powder (black pepper powder)
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp roasted coriander powder
To give tadka:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion cut into cubes/rings
- 2 whole dried red chillies
Step 1( Making of masala paste):
Firstly, take a vessel and boil 2 onions for few minutes, switch off the flame and rest them aside.
Boil 8-9 cashew nuts in a separate vessel for 10 minutes and keep them aside.
Boil 1 tbsp poppy seeds or khus khus in little water for 10 minutes and keep them aside.
Now in a blending jar, add boiled cashew nuts, boiled poppy seeds, add very little water and blend all the masala into a fine paste.
Now add the boiled onions into the jar and make a fine paste of all the ingredients.
Step 2 (Frying of onions):
Take a non stick pan, add oil and heat it.
Add the 3 sliced onions into the oil.
Fry the onions until they turn slight golden color.
Take the fried onions out and rest them aside.
Let the onions cool and crush them well.
Step 3(Making of chicken rezala):
In a vessel, add 3 tbsp oil and heat it.
Add whole garam masala such as 3 cloves, 2 cardamoms, 1 medium size cinnamon stick, 1 bay leaf, 2 whole dried red chillies.
Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, saute them for few minutes on low flame, be careful.
Add chicken pieces, salt as per taste and roast them for few minutes until color of the chicken changes.
Add 4-5 slit green chillies.
Add the beaten yogurt into the chicken and mix well.
Cook for 10 minutes.
Add the masala paste (paste of boiled onions, boiled kaju and boiled khus khus).
Mix well and cook for 10-15 minutes on low flame by covering the lid.
Add the crushed brown onions and mix them well.
Add black pepper powder, add white pepper powder, add roasted coriander powder, adjust salt if required and mix well.
Cook the chicken rezala for 10 minutes on low flame or until chicken gets tenderized.
Cook well and cook until oil starts floating.
Step 4(Give the tadka):
Take a tadka pan, add a tbsp oil and heat it.
Add onion rings/cubes into the oil.
Add the dried red chillies, saute well.
Add the tadka into the chicken rezala.
- At the end of the cooking process one can add 2-3 soaked saffron strands (saffron soaked in 1 or 2 tbsp of milk) into the curry for more mughlai flavors else one can skip this step and yet enjoy the current flavors.