Beerakaya Pappu Recipe is a dal recipe from andhra region of south india. Pappu is referred to as dal and the dal used in this recipe is toor dal/toovar dal and into it cooked beerakaya is added.
Related Beerakaya or Turai Recipes:
Pappu recipes are quite common here and I have already shared few pappu recipes in my blog like listed below:
Many dal recipes are made using vegetables and in andhra recipes vegetables are used interestingly like they are used to stir fry, make curries or they are also added into dal.
This recipe is my version of making beerakaya pappu and beerakaya is usually called as turai in hindi and ridge gourd in english. The dal made with this veggie tastes delicious and goes well with rice and other vegetable curries.
I like to try out dal recipes with green leafy vegetables and the vegetables that are used to make curries and eating a plain dal sometimes gets boring.
Dals are common in every Indian household and they are packed with proteins and very light. In this recipe I have separately cooked dal and beerakaya/ridge gourd and then mixed together to bring out a better taste.
Beerakaya in andhra style is used in many ways such as beerakaya curry, beerakaya fry, beerakaya pachadi and they all taste awesome and I would love to update every recipe related to this amazing vegetable as I continue my blogging journey…
The dal used here is kandi pappu/toor dal but the same recipe can be made with other dals like moong dal/pesarapappu and masoor dal, chana dal etc…
Below are the recipe details on how to make beerakaya pappu recipe or ridge gourd dal….
Beerakaya Pappu Recipe:
Beerakaya Pappu Recipe Andhra Style, Ridge Gourd Dal
For the dal:
- 1 cup toor dal/toovar dal/pigeon pea
- 2-3 medium size tomatoes chopped
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 cups water
For the beerakaya/ridge gourd curry:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- salt – to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2-3 beerakaya/ridgegourd peeled and cut into pieces around 2-3 cups
For the tadka:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal/split black gram
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 3-4 dried red chillies
- 4-5 curry leaves
For the dal:
- Firstly, take a pressure cooker, into it, wash and add the toor/toovar dal.
- Into it, add turmeric powder, chopped tomatoes, green chillies, oil.
- Add water about 2 cups, mix and pressure cook until dal is cooked or for 3-4 whistles.
- Reduce the steam, add salt and mash the dal.
For the ridgegourd:
- Take a cooking vessel, into it add oil and heat it.
- Add chopped onions and saute for few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder and saute it.
- Add chopped beerakaya/turai into it.
- Add salt as per taste and mix well.
- Do not add water while cooking as the beerakaya itself leaves water.
- Cook the beerakaya/turai until it gets soft.
- Into the mashed dal, add the cooked turai.
- Mix it with a spatula.
Give the tadka:
- In a sauce pan, add oil and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, urad dal and let it splutter.
- Add finley chopped garlic.
- Add dried red chillies and stir.
- Add curry leaves and stir.
- Transfer this tadka to the dal mixed with turai.
- Serve the beerakaya pappu or turai dal with rice!!!