Cabbage sabzi is a dry sabzi recipe made using patta gobhi and to make it more interesting and eatable I have added matar/peas to it.
Cabbage in India is usually available in attractive light green in color beautifully covered with leaves. It is usually available in other colors like purple in several other countries.
Cabbage is commonly called as patta gobhi and is available in plenty in this winter season. This post is all about cabbage sabzi that can be eaten with chapathi or roti and also rice too.
I have already made cabbage curry, in my blog where I have used onions and tomatoes to make the curry suitable to be eaten with rice.
Other cabbage recipes that I have posted on this recipe blog are cabbage pakoda and cabbage sabzi .
In this patta gobhi ki sabji I have made use of just sliced onions and to enhance the taste of the sabzi, I have added some handful of mutter to the dish.
It can be made in different variations like here I have made in Northern Indian style, but in Southern India we basically do the tempering at the beginning of the curry and then make the curry.
I would like to post south indian style of making vegetable curries too as I write down recipes that are both vegetarian and non vegetarian.
In south india itself, sabzi and curries are made in different styles like in some of the sabzi recipes, desiccated coconut is added like a poriyal and in some other sabzi recipes tempering is done.
I shall also be making some of the poriyal recipes which are interesting to make and eat.
Here in this sabzi, I have used matar as an optional ingredient and it can be skipped if one would like to make plain cabbage sabzi.
It is usually spelled as cabbage ki sabzi or cabbage ki sabji but it can be tried out in our own innovative ways.
Cabbage has got several health benefits like it has got fibre, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and is very healthy to include in daily diet.
It can also be made as soups and is widely used in making salads.
Cooking this simple and delicious recipe is very simple and below is the recipe card on how to make this simple yet delicious cabbage sabzi.
How to make cabbage sabzi or patta gobhi ki sabji recipe:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium size onion, finely sliced/chopped
- 2 green chillies finely slit
- salt - to taste
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ kg cabbage or patta gobhi
- 1 cup matar/peas
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves/hara dhania
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fenugreek leaves/methi leaves
- Firstly, shred the cabbage well, wash it well under running water.
- Take a pressure cooker or a cooking pan, add oil and heat it.
- Add sliced onions, green chillies, cook them until the onions turn soft.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, mix well and cook on low flame until oil leaves the sides.
- Add the shredded cabbage, add 1 cup matar into it and mix well.
- Cook the cabbage and matar for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Mix well.
- Cover the pressure cooker lid.
- Pressure cook the sabzi for 1 or two whistles.
- Switch off the stove and reduce the steam.
- Remove the lid.
- Add some freshly chopped fenugreek leaves and coriander leaves, mix well
- Cook the sabzi for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice or chapathi.
2. Adding methi leaves is totally optional and since they are seasonal, methi can always be skipped.
4. Adding of coriander leaves gives a good flavor and fragrance to the curry.
5. Adding of matar is optional and if peas is not available then make the cabbage sabzi just using cabbage and skip using matar.