Matar paneer recipe with detailed steps and video is shared on the blog which is in shahi style commonly made all across north india mainly a punjabi dish.
I made this recipe with rich onion tomato and cashewnut gravy with matar and paneer as the main ingredients and is purely a veg recipe commonly eaten with naan, chapati, phulka or any flat bread.
Other indian veg recipes on the blog are:
- cauliflower sabzi
- aloo sabzi
- palak sabzi
- aloo baingan curry
- aloo kurma
- gobi fry
- bagara baingan
- mirchi ka salan
Matar and paneer are two ingredients which are mostly used all across north india for most of the veg dishes made there.
Paneer is added which gives a different and rich taste to the curry and is a healthy ingredient which is full of proteins.
I have made many basic veg curries but shahi matar paneer has become my all time favorite after making and tasting this recipe.
I was amazed with the outcome as it turned out to be a restaurant style taste.
I always try to bring out restaurant flavors in my recipes which can be easily made at home if we are familiar with the ingredients and the method made in hotels.
I have started liking north indian cuisine as I started making north indian and punjabi dishes. I would like to bring in every Indian recipe including veg and non veg as I keep updating.
They are many more north indian recipes that I would like to update on the blog for my blog readers.
Here, the shahi paneer is made in onion tomato gravy and making the gravy rich by adding cashewnut paste and enhancing the flavors and fragrance by adding crushed kasuri methi.
Here in the recipe I have not used frozen peas, instead I have added fresh matar and pressure cooked the gravy to soften the matar.
Below are the recipe details on how to make shadi wala shahi paneer curry with step by step details and video.
Video procedure for matar paneer masala:
How to make matar paneer recipe in shahi style:
matar paneer recipe | paneer mutter masala | shahi matar paneer
For making onion tomato gravy:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 medium size onions finely chopped
- 3 small green chillies chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 medium size tomatoes chopped
- salt - to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
For making shahi matar paneer:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 15 cashewnuts paste cashews blanched for 5-10 minutes and made into a paste
- 1 cup matar/green peas
- 200 gms paneer/cottage cheese cut into cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp roasted coriander seeds powder
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp crushed kasoori methi
- salt - to taste
Making of onion tomato gravy:
- Firstly, in a pan, add oil and heat it.
- Into it add finely chopped onions and saute for few minutes.
- Add green chillies and cook until the onions turn soft and translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes until raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped tomatoes into it, saute for few minutes.
- Add salt, red chilli powder turmeric powder, mix well and cook until the tomatoes turn soft and pulpy.
- Switch off the flame.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Add the cool onion tomato mix into a blender and blend into a fine smooth paste/puree.
- Set the blended paste aside for later use.
Making of shahi matar paneer:
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add blended onion tomato puree into it.
- Stir well and cook the gravy on low flame until oil leaves the sides.
- Add cashewnut paste into it, mix well.
- Cook the gravy again on low flame for few minutes until oil starts separating.
- Add matar/green peas, add paneer cubes, mix carefully.
- Add water, mix and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Reduce the steam.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, crushed kasoori methi, mix up well.
- Cook the shahi matar paneer until oil starts leaving the sides.
- Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with roti or naan.
- Watch the video procedure above.
2. If cream is available, one can even make it even more rich by garnishing the curry with fresh cream.
3. I have used cashewnut paste to make the gravy rich and it can also be replaced with fresh cream.