Mutton chops, a recipe which is stir fried well after tenderizing the chops by pressure cooking and this is one of the best ways of making chops that can be used as a starter or can be used with any main course meal as a side dish.
There are various ways to make chops and here I have made it as mutton chops fry and not in the form of a curry which tastes better as fried form.
Mutton recipes on blog:
In India and International cooking these chops are used in various ways. There are lamb shoulder shops or lamb loin chops which are easily available in stores if requested or can be availed easily in International stores.
Different ways of frying chops:
- The chops have to be tenderized slightly and not overcook them before stir frying them as deep frying them raw does not give a good taste.
- The chops then can be stir fried by marinating in many ways.
- They can be marinated with simple spices available and then stir fried.
- They can be given heavy coating of maida and corn flour to give different results.
- Each way tastes amazing if properly cooked.
How to make mutton chops here:
I have pressure cooked the chops first by adding onion, ginger garlic paste, salt, oil and little water. They should not be over cooked as overcooked chops do not taste well. The chops should then be marinated in some spices for few minutes followed by stir frying them in oil.
Spices used for marination:
Yogurt: This is the main ingredient for any recipe that is given the flavor of kababs.
Dry spices: The spices used here are salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, ginger garlic paste, black pepper powder, garam masala powder etc…
Kasoori methi: This gives a pleasant aroma to the marinade. This is easily available in dried form in stores.
How to make chops in oven:
If baking them in oven then follow the procedure mentioned below:
- The best way to bake is by marinating the chops with salt, pepper powder and other basic herbs such as salt and chili powder or it can be skipped for less spicy flavor.
- They are then mixed with little yogurt.
- Marinated for at least 2 hours in refrigerator.
- They are then placed on a baking rack on a baking tray.
- The temperature set for them to cook perfectly is at 400 degrees F for at least 2 hours.
- These baked chops can be eaten directly or can be sauteed slightly in olive oil for more flavorful taste.
I have not used egg to give any sort of coating to the chops. Just keeping it plain, simple and traditional gives amazing flavor to the chops.
I have tried chops in the oven as well as on cook top such as in this recipe and both methods turned out awesome.
I would suggest to use lamb chops to make mutton chops fry or any chops recipes as they can be soften quickly and taste best and do not take long time to cook.
Very soon I shall be updating with a video and a step by step procedure to make these chops which taste best as a starter or can be eaten as a side dish to any main course meal.
These can be enjoyed with naan, parotta or roti recipes along with any curries or gravies.
Best if had with any sauce or dip as an accompaniment to it.
Below are the recipe details to make chops fry…
How to make mutton chops fry recipe:
mutton chops recipe, mutton chops fry
To pressure cook chops:
- 6 mutton chops
- 1/2 onion, finely sliced (medium size onion)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup water
To marinate the chops:
- 2 tsp thick yogurt/curd
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp roasted coriander seeds powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tsp corn flour
- 1/4 tsp kasoori methi
- a pinch of red color
To stir fry:
- 4 tbsp oil
To pressure cook the chops:
- In a pressure cooker, add the mutton chops, sliced onions.
- Add salt as per taste, ginger garlic paste, a tablespoon of oil,
- Add little water and pressure cook for 1 or just 2 whistles.
- Do not overcook them.
- Reduce the steam and remove the lid.
- If there is water remaining, keep the lid uncovered and cook until water completely absorbs.
- Switch off the flame.
- Allow it to cool down before marinating.
Marinating and frying the chops:
- Take a mixing bowl, add thick yogurt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, ginger garlic paste.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, kali mirch powder or black pepper powder, corn flour.
- Mix well, add a pinch of red food color and mix everything.
- Add dried crushed kasoori methi.
- Add the mutton chops.
- Mix well and marinate the chops for 15-20 minutes.
- Take a pan, add oil and heat it.
- Add the marinated chops and stir fry them until they are fried well on all sides.
- It takes about 10-12 minutes for them to be fried well on medium to low flame.
- Stir frying gives delicious flavors to the mutton.
- Take them out on a tissue paper and serve hot.
- Enjoy as a starter or serve with a dip and salad.