Sorakaya Pappu is a south Indian dal recipe made using lauki also called as bottle gourd in English. Sorakaya or anapakaya is a Telugu word for kaddu/lauki and this is a thick dal eaten along with rice. Different dals are served in south Indian meal platters and each dal tastes delicious and are best when served with chutneys, ghee and pickles.
Other dal recipes or pappu recipes on the blog are pappu charu, gongura pappu.
This is a quick dal recipe where all the ingredients including the veggie that is sorakaya are put together and cooked well. These dal recipes are quick, healthy, nutritious and tasty too.
These kind of dal recipes are one pot pressure cooked veg dal recipes which can be made with in 30 minutes.
In south india, vegetables are highly used along with lentils or dals and they are one of the ways to make use of veggies in India. Mostly in south india plain dal is cooked along with veggies which bring out amazing flavors into the dal recipe.
In southern India, dal is a must along with pickles of various kinds and dal, ghee and pickles are enough to finish the dish.
I would love to update various dal recipes which include different vegetables and also regional dals that can be eaten during lunch or dinners along with some side dishes like veg stir fries or papad..
The main ingredients that have been added into this dal are yellow lentils(toor dal), onions, tomatoes, tamarind, green chillies which have been tenderized well and lastly ended by giving an aromatic tempering.
Tempering can be done in their own way but this is the basic general form of tadka to the dal recipe.
Below are the recipe instructions on how to make this sorakaya pappu which is a common dal recipe down south.
Sorakaya Pappu Andhra, Anapakaya Pappu | Lauki Dal
- 1 cup toor dal/toovar dal/pigeon pea
- 2 cups of bottle gourd peeled roughly deseeded and made into small pieces
- 1 medium size onion finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato finely chopped
- 4-5 green chillies chopped
- 5-6 tamarind pieces
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 glass of water
- salt - to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4-5 dried red chillies
- 6-7 curry leaves
- Firstly, in a pressure cooker, add toor dal.
- Into it, add sorakaya/lauki/bottle gourd pieces.
- Also add chopped onion, chopped tomato, green chillies.
- Add turmeric powder, a teaspoon oil, water, add tamarind pieces as well.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Pressure cook these ingredients for 4-5 whistles or until dal gets soft.
- Reduce the steam.
- Mash the dal well by adding salt into it.
- Give the tempering as written below.
For the tempering:
- In a tadka pan add oil and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add dried red chillies and stir well.
- Add curry leaves and allow it to crackle.
- Transfer the tadka all over the dal and mix.
- Serve the pappu with rice!!!
2.They give good aroma and flavor to the dal.
3.One can also add finely chopped onions into the tempering and add it to the lauki dal.