Rava upma recipe is a quick indian breakfast recipe and is a very popular tiffin all across south india. It is the most simplest and quickest tiffin made in every household and it looks in the form of a porridge.
There are many instant recipes to be made and upma is the most common instant tiffin made when there is a shortage of ingredients available at home.
Other breakfast recipes or tiffin recipes on the blog- are south indian masala dosa, onion dosa, punugulu, mysore bonda, poha recipe, bread omelette, rava dosa, pesarattu, methi paratha, beetroot paratha etc…
Having upma rava at home is enough to make this simple recipe. Upma is made with a rava which is called as sooji rava or semolina.
I have used sooji rava to make this simple upma but upma can be made with other rava’s too like wheat upma, vermicelli, oats upma etc…
Rava upma recipe is easy to learn and it needs few ingredients to do the tempering and adding upma rava into it.
The main technique into making this wonderful south indian cuisine is roasting upma rava. If the rava is not roasted well then the taste of the upma does not come out well and the aroma is very raw.
If roasted well the upma smells very yum. The upma making needs tempering first, then boiling water by adding tempering into it and then cooking upma into the boiling water.
South india is very common for various tiffin recipes and this special upma is widely served in every tiffin centre.
Upma making is simple but there are certain things that should be kept in mind as upma tends to form lumps if not cooked correctly.
Below is the upma recipe with a video procedure and also with the help of written instructions.
Video procedure for upma recipe:
How to make upma recipe:
upma recipe | rava upma recipe | sooji upma
- 1 cup sooji/semolina
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp chana dal/bengal gram
- 1/2 tsp urad dal/split black gram
- 2 finely chopped green chillies
- 2 small onions finely chopped
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 3 cups water
- salt to taste
Dry roast sooji:
- Firstly, take a wok, heat it, add semolina/sooji and dry roast it for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Rest it aside.
Making of upma:
- Take a wok, add oil and heat it.
- Into it, add mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal.
- Into it add chopped green chillies and cook for few seconds.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute for few seconds.
- Add curry leaves and saute well.
- Add water into the tempering.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Gradually keep stirring and slowly add the roasted sooji into the boiling water by stirring(do not add the sooji at once).
- Keep stirring until all the water is absorbed.
- Cook for a minute or two.
- Mix up the rava upma well.
- Cook again for a minute or two.
- Rava upma is ready.
- Serve hot with pickles or chutney.
2.In upma, a small piece of ginger/grated ginger can be added into the boiling water for more enhanced flavor.
3.Additional spices like turmeric powder too can be added into the tempering to get yellow color upma.
4.Always dry roast sooji as it avoids formation of lumps when added into the boiling water.