Dal Gosht Recipe is a combination of chana dal and gosht that is mutton with dal which is a very wonderful combination. This combination is usually found in Hyderabad.
Related gosht/mutton Recipes:
- Gosht ka korma or mutton kurma
- Gosht keema curry recipe
- Hyderabadi haleem
- Nargisi kofta curry recipe
It is also found in some regions of pakistan. The dal gosht is so tasty that it goes well with rice or rotis. This recipe is made using wonderful ingredients like onions and yogurt and I assure the taste is amazing.
The recipe is a gravy kind of a recipe where the lentils play an important ingredient in making this recipe. There are many recipes which can be made with chana dal but if used along with meat it really makes a delicious recipe.
This recipe does take a lot of time but the outcome is so good to taste. I would like my readers to try this recipe as it is a very popular dish in Indian Muslim households and also is a very popular pakistani dish.
I would love to hear the feedback for my dal gosht recipe which is a do try dish. I try various recipes with meat/mutton and I am going to share every recipe I make on this blog.
This recipe requires soaking of chana dal/bengal gram before the recipe is made. I love this roti along with rice and roti and is a unique variety to be tried with chana dal.
Below I would be sharing the procedure on how to make chana dal gosht recipe… Enjoy!!!
Dal Gosht Recipe Below:
- 500 gms meat/mutton cleaned and washed well
- 2-3 medium sized onions finely sliced
- 1½ cups chana dal/bengal gram
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3-4 slit green chillies
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder(lal mirch powder)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder(haldi)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 cup beaten yogurt
- 1 tbsp roasted dry coconut powder
- Firstly, soak chana dal in water for about half an hour to an hour.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and heat it.
- Add sliced onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add slit green chillies, saute and add ginger garlic paste.
- Add mutton pieces into it and roast it well.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, mix well and cook for few minutes.
- Add soaked chana dal into it and cook for few minutes.
- Add beaten yogurt into it and cook for few seconds.
- Add roasted dry coconut powder and mix well.
- Cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add enough water and pressure cook until the mutton and dal gets tender.
- Reduce the steam, remove the lid, add garam masala powder, mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Cook for a while and switch off the stove.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
2.Even if the dal is not soaked give many whistles to tenderize the dal.
3.Here I have added mutton and chana dal together and pressure cooked it however, the dal can be cooked separately and added to cooked mutton.
4.Additional spices such as corinader seeds powder and cumin powder can be added to enhance the taste.