Achari Gosht Recipe or Achari Mutton is a wonderful yet rare Awadhi cuisine of Uttar Pradesh that is cooked with mutton bringing out pickled flavors or achari flavors into it. Other gosht recipes include dum ka chicken, bhuna gosht, bhuna chicken , dalcha recipe etc...
Different versions of Achari Gosht Recipe can be made but the key ingredients into making this dish would be onion seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds as these ingredients give the pickled flavors to the dish.
The flavors of the dish are a bit spicy as in any pickle but the taste may vary depending on whether we are adding onions or tomatoes or yogurt. Adding any of these ingredients would give different kind of pickled flavor. It is commonly made during weddings or any occasions. Pickly flavored gosht recipe is served with rotis or naan mainly.
In this post I am going to show one version of making Achari mutton with yogurt and pickled flavors. As I update I shall be posting different versions of it.
This Gosht Recipe is usually a dish commonly made in North India but gives the flavor of Indian pickles. Let's look at the detailed instructions into making this Gosht Recipe which is a delicious Awadhi Cuisine.
Not only pickled flavors can be added into mutton but can also be added into chicken or paneer and can be made as Achari chicken or Achari paneer. Below listed are the instructions on making this achari flavored Gosht Recipe .
Achari Gosht Recipe below:
Achari Gosht Recipe,Achari Mutton
- ½ kg mutton/meat washed
- 1 tablespoon oil preferably mustard oil
- 1 cup onions finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- salt-to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- ½ teaspoon onion seeds or nigella seeds kalonji in hindi
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds methi seeds in hindi
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds saunf in hindi
- 2-3 slit green chillies
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon extracted juice.
- Firstly, in a pressure cooker, add the oil preferably mustard oil or any edible oil.
- Add the finely sliced onions, saute till transparent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste into it and saute well to get rid of raw smell.
- Add the mutton and stir fry well or roast it well until a change in color appears.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Cook for few minutes.
- Add yogurt and stir well and again cook for a while.
- Add little water if needed and pressure cook until the mutton gets tender.
- To the cooked mutton, add slit green chillies, add the mixture of onion seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and cook for a while.
- Lastly garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice.
- Serve the hot spicy gravy with roti or naan.
Also we can add cumin seeds or mustard seeds to enhance the flavor of the dish.
We can also roast the mixture of seeds, make it into a coarse powder and stuff it in the Green chillies and add to the curry instead of adding it as a whole.