Bheja Fry Recipe or Brain Fry is a non-veg recipe which is made with the brain of the lamb/sheep/goat. Many may not prefer eating but I must say that once eaten then nobody can resist it.
Related Indian mutton recipes:
Usually, these kind of recipes are experimented mainly during festivals such as bakrid or eid ul adha where meat of every part is available and these parts have to be used up quickly to avoid them from spoiling soon.
How to store the bheja or goat brain:
It is better to use it immediately and when it is fresh and one can store it for a day or two if needed but the more fresh it is consumed the more better for it to have a great taste.
How to clean the bheja:
It is always a good idea to clean it when it is fresh as it gets difficult to clean if frozen The black veins that appear on top have to be pulled out before using it.
The black thin veins that appear are not suitable for eating...
Bheja Fry is such a tasty recipe which is quick in making and good side dish for roti, naan, bread etc. It can also be eaten along with dal and rice, or can be eaten directly.
It is usually a breakfast combination with Roti. Bheja fry or brain fry masala is one such popular and mouth-watering dish cooked on Bakra Eid(Eid-ul-zuha).
While slaughtering, the brain of the animal so slaughtered is removed and cooked to make a delicious preparation known as bheja fry. It just melts in the mouth when eaten.
When we fry it just by adding basic spices it gives a yummy taste. I would advice to try and eat if it has not been tasted. Bheja masala fry is just boiled, fried in oil and eaten.
Have a look at the video or go through the instructions to know about the bheja fry recipe.
Bheja Fry Recipe below:
Bheja Fry Recipe or Lamb Brain Fry Recipe
- 1 Lamb brain/sheep brain
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- a pinch of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander leaves
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Wash the brain thoroughly and boil it in water with some salt and turmeric.
- Remove the brain from the water.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add chopped onions.
- Sauté the onions till they turn slight golden brown.
- Add red chilli powder, a pinch of turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, ginger garlic paste . Stir well and and fry for about 10 minutes, adding a little water if required.
- Add the brain and shake the pan gently to mix the brain with the spice mixture. Avoid stirring with a spoon(The brain can also be scrambled if required).
- When the oil separates from the spice masala, add chopped coriander, lemon juice.
- Serve hot with roti, naan or bread.
Leave a Reply