Mutton gravy is a recipe which we all crave to eat with rice or roti. Mutton gravy recipe can be made in various ways but here I have not used onions and tomatoes to make the gravy but have prepared the dish in a different style. Mutton or meat is such a non-vegetarian dish which goes perfect by cooking them combining with vegetables as well.
One major combination of meat is potatoes and we make use of this combination generally while making mutton dishes.
Related mutton recipes:
The other combinations to make mutton are different veggies such as bhindi/okra, and in Hyderabad meat is often combined with all sorts of veggies such as arbi and made arbi recipe and it is often combined with gongura leaves or sorrel leaves and made as gongura mutton, it is also combined with spinach leaves as well and so on...
Chicken is something that can hardly be combined but mutton is easily mixed up with veggies too and made into number of delicious curries or sabzi recipes.
The gravy of non-veg recipes is neither too liquid like a shorba nor too dry and the consistency of the curry is made in such a way that it can be mixed with rice or can be taken with roti.
This mutton gravy is awesome in taste and perfect with pulao or bagara rice. This is no onion no tomato gravy but I have used yogurt and fried onions to make the gravy which gives a perfect taste to the mutton.
Mutton/meat should be of high quality when buying it and should be fresh and red to get the perfect taste.
Mutton curries can be made in various ways and mutton gravies too can be made in different ways and each region maintains a different version of mutton gravy or mutton curries.
I would love to update various mutton recipes and one among the updated recipes is mutton bhuna gosht and several others like curries or gravy versions, mutton korma or rice mixed with mutton which can be tried and served to families.
Mutton if cooked perfectly with right spices brings the best taste to the dish. Mutton is often used to make during eid or muslim festivals apart from chicken dishes.
Here I have used fried onions called as barista to get the gravy and also used yogurt to give the gravy to the mutton dish.
Check out the detailed instructions and procedure to make this wonderful mutton gravy recipe.
Mutton Gravy Recipe Spicy
- 500 gms meat/mutton
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2-3 black pepper corns
- 3-4 medium sized onions finely sliced
- 3-4 vertically slit green chillies
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- salt - as per taste
- 1 tsp full red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 or 2 glasses of water
- 1 cup yogurt approx... 200ml
- 1 tsp roasted coriander seeds powder
- 1 tsp black pepper corn powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 4 medium sized onions finely sliced and deep fried barista/deep fried onions
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Firstly, take a cooking pot, into it add oil and heat it.
- Add cinnamon stick, cardamoms, cloves, black pepper corns and stir well.
- Add finely sliced onions into it.
- Also add slit green chillies and saute until onions turn soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute to get rid of the raw smell.
- Add mutton pieces into it and roast them well until the mutton changes its color.
- Add salt according to taste.
- Add red chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix the whole mixture well.
- Cover the lid and cook the mutton for about 5 minutes on low flame until oil appears at the corners.
- Add a glass of water or two and cook the mutton until it gets tender or pressure cook to tenderize it(do not overcook the mutton).
- Reduce the steam of the cooker and switch on the flame.
- Beat the yogurt and add into the tenderized mutton curry and mix well.
- Add garam masala powder, roasted coriander seeds powder, black pepper corn powder.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Crush the deep fried onions and add into the mutton curry and mix well.
- Add in some fresh coriander leaves.
- Cook it for 10 minutes on low flame until a thick gravy is observed.
- Switch off the flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with roti or rice...
2.After yogurt and barista is added the mutton has to be cooked again for about 15 minutes so avoid overcooking the mutton in the beginning as it removes the perfect flavor of the meat.
3. We can also add a paste of soaked cashewnut to this gravy to give more thickness and to give more richness to the gravy. Add the cashewnut paste first then add beaten yogurt and cook the gravy...This gives more thickness to the mutton gravy.
Do leave your suggestion if you have your version of mutton gravy recipes or any recipe related to mutton or it can be a mutton rice recipe as well. We would love to share your recipes too with our blog readers and globalize the Indian Cuisine.