Mutton Masala Recipe is a mouth-watering and a masaledaar mutton masala curry recipe which is again made with red meat/mutton. Hyderabad is a region that is famous for many non-veg recipes apart from biryani recipes and mutton recipes are in huge demand here mainly curry or gravy recipes that go best with naan or paratha recipes.
Related recipes with mutton or mutton recipes on the blog are mutton pulao , mutton pickle , paya soup, mutton do pyaza.
I have shared many mutton related dishes which I have mentioned above and there are many more to appear on this blog as I keep updating with time.
I love Hyderabadi cuisine as I love making rest of the Indian Cuisine. I do have a special liking for Hyderabadi recipes as I have spent my childhood here and have been trying out these recipes over the years.
We usually prefer to consume chicken often as it gives us the taste the proteins and also many varieties and something that is less expensive. But consuming it often too leads to various health issues as we always need to have a balanced diet.
Therefore, including meat related stuff like meat rice recipes, meat curries, meat gravy recipes, biryani recipes helps us in having mutton or meat in some form or the other which is a great health benefit.
Many masala recipes or varities are preferred in hyderabad and below mentioned are few masala kind of delicacies that are posted on the blog and most of them are with video procedures.
My blog is flooded with many masala recipes in non veg dishes which I would like my blog readers to try out such as kadai chicken .
How to buy mutton?
- Mutton while buying should always have packaged date and expiry date and one should always try to buy fresh red meat and not the meat that has been cut for days.
- Always make sure to use a lamb which tastes better than using the meat of an aged sheep or goat. It takes time to get cooked or to tenderize and the taste too changes as compared to buying the meat of a lamb.
- Always check the dates on the packing while buying them from stores.
This dish is a curry recipe which can be eaten with roti or rice and is a popular dish all across India and mainly it is made in Hyderabad.
This hyderabadi mutton masala recipe is a wonderful curry and is full of gravy as the curry requires onions, tomatoes and yogurt to prepare. Apart from this hyderabadi special recipe other hyderabadi recipes too are posted on blog.
Check out different meat recipes and most of them have been posted along with a video procedure and hope they will be liked by my viewers and do not forget to leave us your valuable feedback.
This is however an easy recipe but since it is a mutton recipe, it requires lots of patience to be cooked well. It is better to use pressure cooker to make meat recipes as the tenderizing process takes a lot of time if cooked in a cooking vessel.
This is a gravy kind of a recipe and there are few gravy recipes of mutton on my blog. Therefore, I decided to post this wonderful recipe which is best when eaten with rice or roti or naan.
The items that go into the dish are common ingredients but onions and tomatoes are the key ingredients along with yogurt.
All these recipes are purely halal and made out of goat meat. I pay a lot of attention in the selection of meat as that decides the final taste of the recipe.
Good quality meat gives a tasty flavor to the entire dish. These kind of recipes are apt to make when there are many members available at home. Mutton Masala recipe is one of my favorite recipes.
The name of the dish itself shows that the recipe needs masala and in this recipe, I am going to direct on how to prepare the delicious mutton masala.
Mutton Masala Recipe Hyderabadi
- 500 gms mutton pieces/meat cut and washed well
- 3 tablespoon edible oil
- 3 medium sized onions finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 2 to matoes finely chopped
- 1 cup yogurt/curd
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon mutton masala powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- Firstly, take a pressure cooker, add oil into it and heat it.
- Add sliced onions and fry them till they turn slight golden color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes.
- Add the mutton pieces and roast them until a change in color appears.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander seeds powder, cumin seeds powder, mutton masala powder, mix well and cook for about 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, mix and cook for two to three minutes until tomatoes get soft.
- Add the beaten yogurt/curd into it.
- Cook until oil appears at the corners.
- Add little water, add chopped coriander leaves and pressure cook until mutton gets tender.
- Reduce the steam.
- Lastly add garam masala powder and cook on sim flame for about two minutes.
- Switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
- Instead of sliced tomatoes, tomato puree too can be added and cook the puree until oil starts leaving the sides...
- There are many more different ways of making mutton masala recipes and hopefully I shall try to add few more versions of masala mutton recipes as I update more of meat recipes.
Asak. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
I just like to know how many spoons of tomatoe puree should I use instead of actual tomatoes? Would be great if you could help me with this.. Thanks a ton in advance.
Walekumasssalaam huda...Thanks for reaching out to us... You can add 2-3 tbspns of tomato puree instead of the tomatoes... Hope your question is answered...
What have you added in mutton masala powder??? U didn't mention it
Its a ready made masala powder which is available in indian markets but, i would say the dish taste delicious even if mutton masala powder is skipped as we add garam masala powder into it. It is just an optional ingredient which could be skipped if you don't find them at the stores...Thnks fr the question attia...
What's the amount of yogurt to be used in ml ?
1 cup is equal to about 150ml of yogurt...Hope I have answered the question and hope you enjoy making it....
I just tried your recipe, it's fabulous and really easy to follow and remember. I'm so glad I came across your recipe. This will always be my first choice of a recipe for mutton curry from now on. Thanks a million for sharing your talent through your recipes. This one was really delicious
Thanks a lot Rodrigues... You have made my day with your wonderful comments...
Thank you !
For this recipie it's really delicious I made this for my family and they enjoy it lots
Thanks for trying our recipe and thanks for the wonderful feedback...
HERE YOU GO AGAIN... Another beautiful dish!!
Bless your hands.. that makes it divine 🙂
what is mutton masala? Can it be made at home if yes, recipe plzz...thanks
It is available in super markets in India...Even if its not available we can skip that ingredient and follow the rest of the procedure...
Can I cook in an open pan instead of cooker
Yes Gauranga, it tastes even more better in an open pan but, cook atleast for 45 minutes until the mutton cooks completely...
How many whistles required If we use pressure cooker?
3 whistles on low flame and 5-6 whistles on high flame.
Will a slow cooker work too?
Yes absolutely, slow cooking of mutton tastes even more good but do not overcook as the real taste of mutton lies in perfect cooking and not in over cooking...
Can you please share the garam masala recipe?
yes i shall share it as I update my blog
Savio Francis Dsouza
I will be preparing your yummy delicious mutton masala soon, will cook it in a kadhai.
Your mutton masala looks very nice and tempting.
Please post some more versions of the mutton masala in rich thick spicy gravies.
Like the ones served in Mumbai restaurants, also some muslim restaurants in Mumbai.
Green plus red version of the mutton masala recipes.
I've prepared your superb mutton biryani and mutton pulao recipe, turned out really great.
Asiya, all your recipes turned out very very tasty and finger licking.
You have immense talent and love for cooking.
Wishing you all the very Bestest and grand success in life.
Eagerly awaiting more mutton and chicken recipes.
Please also post a nice spicy rich thick gravy recipe for chicken masala.
Thanks for sharing such wonderful recipes in your food blog.
God bless you abundantly dear.
Please let me know the receipe of mutton masala powder in powder form
It is easily available in super markets or grocery stores...If you do not get it just add garam masala powder...The adding of the powder is just an enhancement to the dish...
This recipe was so good and easy to make. My family are curry snobs and everyone loved it.
Very tasty and yummy ...loved it.
Hi there! just found your article when I was looking for making Mutton Masala Recipe by ourselves at home.
Thanks for sharing this very well-written and worth reading article.
wish to see more in the coming days.