Mutton Paya Soup is a soup or stew made from the legs of lamb which are also called as lamb trotters and this is a very healthy soup recipe.
Do check out recipes which has mutton in it:
- Hyderabadi Haleem Recipe
- Mutton kofta
- Mutton Pilaf recipe
- Hyderabadi Marag Recipe
- Hyderabadi mutton biryani recipe
- Mutton shami kabab
- mutton fry
Mutton Paya soup has always been one of my favorites as it has all the health benefits and it is indeed a nourishing soup for kids, young ones as well as old ones.
The mutton legs or lamb legs are tenderized in such a way that all the juice from the legs is extracted and mixed with water to form a very healthy stew. The lamb legs are tenderized along with some spices to give aromatic flavor.
If one is looking forward to try mutton bones soup then do try hyderabadi marag soup recipe which is a hyderabadi cum arabic style of making soup recipe with mutton bones.
There are various ways of making mutton paya soup such as ‘Nihari’ which is again a very popular soup all across India. Here I am showing the soup recipe in typical Hyderabadi style .. and the similar versions are made across different regions of India with slight variations here and there.
The mutton soup can be taken as a plain soup or it is best to be eaten during breakfasts along with naan or roti. I usually prefer making soup rather than making curry as it is full of calcium and is hugely beneficial for joint pains.
Having any kind of soup be it a vegetarian or a non vegetarian is very healthy if taken when one is sick or ill. These soups are best during winters and rainy.
I have already posted a similar kind of recipe but here I have made a very slight variation and thought of sharing it with my blog readers.
The lamb legs have to be washed very well before making this soup recipe. The soup is also very essential for kids to strengthen their joints and they can be given a filtered soup. However it is best to consult a doctor and feed them after doctors prescription.
The mutton paya or mutton legs should take a longer time to tenderize and if done so then the thick juices from the legs are extracted perfectly.
Below is the written recipe on how to make mutton paya soup recipe which is very nutritious…..
Mutton Paya Soup or Mutton Legs Soup Recipe :
- 6 mutton legs/paya/lamb trotters
- salt - to taste
- 1 small piece of peeled ginger
- 5-6 black pepper corns
- 3 glasses of water(approx...)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 medium sized sliced onions
- 2-3 slit green chillies
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp chick pea flour
- Firstly, wash the pieces of lamb legs/mutton paya very well with wheat flour and water for about 5-6 times.
- In a pressure cooker add the washed lamb legs, add salt, add black pepper corns, add ginger.
- Add for about 3 glasses of water and pressure cook them on high flame for about 40-45 minutes.
- The step of pressure cooking the legs is very important as the complete juices need to be extracted.
- Once done reduce the steam and put it aside.
- In a cooking vessel, add oil and heat it.
- Add the sliced onions and fry them till translucent.
- Also add slit green chillies into it.
- Add ginger paste into it and saute for few minutes.
- Transfer the tenderized lamb legs and its extract into it.
- Add little water if required.
- Check for salt taste and add if required.
- Add coriander and mint leaves.
- Add black pepper corn powder.
- In a small bowl, add besan and mix it with some water and make a thin paste.
- Add the besan paste/chick pea flour paste into the stew/soup and stir well.
- Cover the lid.
- Bring the whole soup to a boil.
- Boil it for about 10-15 minutes on medium flame to sim flame.
- Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with naan or roti.
2.Wheat flour paste can be added in place of besan/chick pea flour paste.
3.Spices such as bay leaf and cinnamon stick can be added for more spicy flavor while tenderizing.