Drumstick curry is a traditional curry made down south in onion tomato gravy. It can be served along with rice and it's a popular dish made using drumsticks called mulakkada/munagakaya in telugu lingo. Drumsticks are roughly peeled and cut into two-inch long pieces to add to the curries.
Other south indian curries include, soya chunks , gutti vankaya curry etc...
In this recipe traditionally tempering is done at the beginning of the cooking process down south but, here I have made in a different version without giving the tempering and it absolutely turned out delicious...
Its a perfect curry to be served with rice.
To get a form of curry I have made use of sliced onions and chopped tomatoes and added to make the curry.
There are many recipes that can be made with this vegetable like drumstick soup and drumstick pickle. This is a wonderful curry with very few ingredients and the key ingredient is drumstick.
This curry can often be called as mulakkada curry using tomatoes or munagakaya kura or munagakaya curry in telugu lingo and is called by this name in telangana and andhra region.
This vegetable is commonly used to make sambar all across south India and some even fry drumsticks and eat as a side dish...
Below are the recipe details to make this drumstick tomato curry in onion tomato gravy.
Drumstick Curry Recipe Andhra Style
- 2 drumsticks roughly peeled and cut into 2 inch long pieces
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 4 onions finely sliced
- 3-4 vertically slit green chillies
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ turmeric powder/haldi
- 6-7 to matoes finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 3 cups water
- Firstly, in a cooking vessel, add oil and heat it.
- Into it add finely sliced onions and saute until onions get soft.
- Add slit green chillies into it and cook for few seconds.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell disappears.
- Add spices such as salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, mix well and cook the masala for few seconds on low flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till soft.
- Add the drumstick pieces, mix and cook the whole mixture for about five minutes on medium flame.
- Add water and cook until the drumstick pieces are perfectly cooked.
- Lastly add chopped coriander leaves and garnish.
Leave a Reply