Hyderabadi chicken curry recipe is a special chicken curry made in Hyderabadi style using chicken, coconut, yogurt and onions. This kind of gravy is commonly made here and people love to have it with bagara khana or bagara rice or plain pulao.
Other indian chicken recipes that could be tried on the blog is chicken changezi etc...
Hyderabad is known for various popular recipes like hyderabadi biryani, haleem, double ka meetha, sheer khurma and I would love to share more popular recipes of Hyderabad on my blog.
Hyderabad is also known for several non veg delicacies be it biryanis, chicken curries, kormas or mutton curries.
Whenever we go across hyderabad restaurants or hotels we see so many food stalls serving delicious non veg spread like kebabs, biryani, sweets and every dish is in rich and shahi andaaz.
Hyderabad is also known for haleem which is already shared on my blog and would love to add many more varieties of hyderabadi haleem recipes on the blog.
This particular hyderabadi red color chicken curry that I would be sharing on the blog today is a korma kind of a curry made using masala paste and the paste is made by coconut, fried onions, poppy seeds and yogurt. This is the main masala that goes into this korma curry which brings an absolutely wonderful gravy to the curry.
This special hyderabadi chicken is apt for several occasions too and can also be made for festivals and small ceremonies served along with bagara rice.
In Hyderabadi korma recipes we basically tend to add hara masala in the end that is coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chillies to get a flavorful aroma to the chicken korma or any other korma curry.
Hyderabad is very popular in making many hyderabadi chicken curries like hyderabadi red chicken, hyderabadi green chicken which I shall be adding as I keep updating the blog.
After a long time, I am sharing another hyderabadi delicacy which is a special hyderabadi chicken curry that can be served with steamed white rice or any simple pulao.
The taste and aroma of this curry is mind blowing and if we are looking forward to make a chicken curry that could serve many in number then this curry should be among the top few recipes as it has a gravy consistency which can be cooked thick or as a curry as per our needs.
It serves to many and is a good choice to make during special occasions.
Below is my way of making hyderabadi chicken curry recipe which is a gravy recipe and also can be called as a korma recipe with chicken.
Check out the step by step details of the curry below as well as the video too...
hyderabadi chicken curry recipe, chicken hyderabadi
For the chicken curry masala:
- ½ desiccated coconut /4 tablespoon coconut cut into small pieces or grated
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds/khus khus
- 3 large onions finely sliced
- 2 tablespoon oil
For making the curry:
- 750 gms chicken cleaned and washed well
- 2 tablespoon oil
- whole garam masala 2 cloves/loung, 1 cardamom/elaichi, 1 small cinnamon stick/dalchini
- 1 large onion finely sliced
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- blended chicken curry masala paste with coconut poppy seeds and onions
- 1 cup yogurt/dahi/curd
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper corn powder kali mirch powder
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 6-7 mint leaves
- 2-3 slit green chillies
Make the chicken curry masala paste:
- Take a pan, heat it.
- Add the desiccated coconut into the pan, dry roast it for minutes on low flame until the coconut is roasted well and turns slight golden brown.
- Take them out.
- Now add poppy seeds, dry roast it for few seconds and take them out.
- Now add 3 large sliced onions into the pan, add 2 tablespoon oil, mix, keep stirring and stir fry the onions until they turn slight brown in color.
- Take them out and allow all the ingredients to cool well.
- Take a mixer grinder jar, add dry roasted coconut and poppy seeds and blend them into a fine powder.
- Now into the same jar, add the roasted onions and blend again into a smooth paste by adding little water.
- Place this ground masala aside.
Making of hyderabadi chicken:
- Take a heavy base cooking vessel, add oil and heat it.
- Into it add whole garam masala such as cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick and saute for few seconds.
- Add 1 sliced onion and saute the onion for few minutes.
- Add salt as per taste, cook the onions until they turn slight brown in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute the paste for few minutes to get rid of raw smell.
- Add the chicken pieces, roast the chicken until the color changes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, mix well and roast the chicken until oil leaves the sides.
- Add the ground chicken curry masala paste, mix well and cook the curry on low flame for few minutes.
- Add beaten yogurt, mix the curry well.
- Cook the chicken curry for few minutes on low flame until oil leaves the sides.
- Add water as per the consistency required.
- I have added about 2 ½ to 3 cups of water.
- Add salt as per taste, chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chillies.
- Add garam masala powder, kali mirch powder.
- Mix the chicken curry.
- Cook for curry until chicken gets soft, tenderized by covering the lid ¾ th covered.
- Do not cover it fully.
- Cook on medium to low flame.
- Once the chicken get soft switch off the flame.
- Serve with bagara rice or plain pulao.
2. Do not cook the masala on high flame as the masala might burn. Make sure to cook the masala on low flame inorder to avaoid burning.
3. Adding of poppy seeds that is khus khus is totally optional and this ingredient can be skipped if one does not prefer to use this in your curry.
4. We can even add fresh coconut instead of desiccated coconut while making the masala paste.
5. If a thick gravy is preferred then I would suggest to just add 1 ½ cup water into the chicken and cook the gravy.
Do try the recipe and please leave us your feedback in the comment section below and tell us how you like this recipe and also do follow us on facebook and subscribe on youtube for more such recipes.
I tried this recipe and it turned out great. Just that instead of poppy seeds I added sesame seeds. It tasted good. Thanks for the recipe