Mutton Paya Soup or lamb trotters soup is a heavy stew created from trotters/ feet of goat or lamb, bones from the leg with rich gelatin marrow covered with meat. Most cultures will have variations of the Paya recipe in their own way.
Related mutton recipes:
India being such a culturally varied country, each region adapted this recipe and added a few changes according to their taste. In North India, mutton/goat/lamb paaya is served as a dish with rotis or usually naan or as a soup. Whereas in South India it is prepared as a main dish to be served with rice or rotis.
Mutton Paya shorba or soup is basically made from lamb trotters, the feet of a goat or lamb or any cattle, consumed mostly by recuperating patients for its nourishment. This recipe is perfect to be taken during winters as it keeps us warm and we always make this soup during winters and rainy to get warmth.
The recipe below has been cooked with pressure cooker. You can also choose between cooking it in the traditional method, or cooking it in pressure cooker – either way, it’s delicious. It has to be cooked for a long time to get all the juices extracted from the paya to a thick soup.
This is especially famous among the muslim community, basically a mughlai dish, expensive and widely popular among the riches(nawabs), who consume this soup with meat and marrow cooked in exotic spices to get the full benefits and nourishing goodness. It has numerous health benefits such as strengthens joints especially the spine, absolute wonder food for post delivery recovery, good for aging bones as its full of calcium.
This mutton paya soup can also be given to babies for nourishment and to get warmth and can also be given to the sick. I am sure nobody wants to miss making such a healthy paya soup especially during winters… It can not only be made as a soup but can also be made into paya nihari which I shall be updating very soon.
It is made in different ways in different regions across India but every way is a tasty turned out dish as the trotters itself give out a delicious taste. Before cooking please make sure paya is washed very well with any flour like wheat flour etc. It has to be washed many times.
Lamb Trotters Soup Recipe Details Below:
Lamb Trotters Soup,Mutton Paya Soup|Aatu Kaal Soup Recipe
- 4-6 lamb legs/paya
- salt - to taste
- 2 tsp grated ginger adrak
- 2-3 cloves of garlic lehsun
- 4-5 black pepper corns
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp finely chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup onions finely sliced
- 3-4 cups of water
- 1 tsp oil
- Firstly, in a pressure cooker add the legs of lamb/paya/trotters.
- Add water for about 3 cups.
- Add salt as required, add grated ginger, garlic which is optional, black peppercorns.
- Pressure cook for about 20-30 minutes on low flame and keep aside.
- Meanwhile in a sauce pan, heat oil, add sliced onions and fry till slight brown.
- Transfer the fried onions to the paya soup, add coriander leaves, mint leaves.
- Cook for few minutes and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot as a soup or with rotis or rice.