Rajma Masala is a popular North Indian dish made with red kidney beans and various dry spices and the key ingredient being rajma masala powder.
This rajma recipe is usually eaten with roti or rice but generally it is eaten with rice across North India. Rajma masala is something that is commonly made during breakfast or lunch or dinner . This Punjabi dish is an authentic recipe and one of the most liked dishes across north.
There are dishes which are made exclusively in north indian region and south indian region and this particular recipe belongs to northern india where the consumption of rajma is more compared to south India.
The Rajma which I made is in the form of gravy and very juicy. Rajma is a hindi lingo for red kidney beans. Today in this post I have described how to make rajma masala in detail and also you can watch the video below if you have missed out reading some steps.
The Rajma or the kidney beans has to be soaked overnight before pressure cooking as it takes a lot of time to get tender…
The rajma cannot be used immediately and it should always be soaked to use in any recipe such as rajma chawal etc…
This dish is mostly eaten with rice but it also tastes well if tried with roti. Rajma is as popular in punjab as punjabi chole recipe.
When I started making north indian dishes, I made them with ease and one thing I would like to tell my readers is to keep trying dishes and not to worry about the end result.
I always tried my hand at Hyderabadi dishes but when I started making other dishes too, the end result was excellent as I made them with ease and not worrying about the end result.
Video for rajma recipe:
Detailed instructions on How To Make Rajma Masala Punjabi Style:
How To Make Rajma Masala, Rajma Masala Recipe Punjabi
- 250 gms rajma red kidney beans
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 2 medium sliced onions finely sliced
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 medium sized tomatoes made into a puree
- salt – to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 tsp roasted coriander seeds powder
- 1 tbsp rajma masala powder
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- Firstly, wash rajma and soak rajma in enough water for about 8 hours or soak it overnight.
- When we start making the curry, pressure cook rajma by adding enough water for about 8 – 10 whistles in a pressure cooker and rest it aside.
- In a separate cooking pot, heat it, add oil, add cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, cardamoms and saute well.
- Add sliced onions and fry till slight golden brown, add slit green chillies.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute well to get rid of raw smell.
- Add tomato puree and cook the puree for about 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds powder, coriander seeds powder, rajma masala powder.
- Mix everything well and cook the whole masala on sim flame until the masala is cooked well or oil appears at the sides.
- Add pressure cooked rajma along with its stock into the cooked masala and cook for about 10-15 minutes so that the masala gets into the rajma. Add little water if required.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.