Punjabi Chole Recipe is an authentic traditional Punjabi cuisine made with kabuli chana, a term for chick peas in English. This Punjabi delicacy that is chole is the most popular dish across North India.
Check out other punjabi recipes on the blog such as rajma chawal, chicken makhani, palak paneer recipe, bhindi masala, dal tadka, punjabi lassi, pav bhaji recipe, punjabi samosa, methi paratha, aloo paratha etc…
When I first came across this dish I was a bit hesitant to go for it, but when I tasted it, I was really amazed at its wonderful taste. Punjabi Chole is mostly eaten with Bhature, a kind of poori/fried bread. Chole bhature is a perfect combination which can be had at anytime of the day.
Punjabi Chole recipe can be made in different ways, some keep it dry, some make it as a gravy and some add extra ingredients to the dish. Here, I have made it in a simple and traditional way which I am sure would be loved by everyone.
For the first time I tried my hands into making this wonderful dish and it came out awesome and I have also shared a video of this to understand it even more better.
Chole are usually served during breakfasts along with bhature or poori, and the dish appears very appealing to eat. This is a great recipe which all the vegetarians and non vegetarians who are not familiar or have never made the dish should definitely give it a try.
Punjabi chole recipe looks more appealing when served with onions, chutneys, and other spicy items. The recipe which I have detailed on is a gravy kind of a recipe that goes well with poori or bhature.
So lets check out the recipe instructions and hope everybody likes them……
Recipe instructions into making Punjabi Chole Recipe:
Punjabi Chole Recipe, Chana Masala
- 250 gms Kabuli Chana/Chick peas
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 medium sized onions finely sliced
- 4 medium sized tomato made into puree
- 1 small ginger piece
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 4-5 green chillies
- salt - according to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp roasted coriander powder
- 2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chole masala powder
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves/tej patta
- Firstly, wash kabuli chana or chick peas well and soak them overnight in water.
For The Recipe:
- In a pressure cooker, boil the chana by adding enough water and pressure cooking for about 8 - 10 whistles.
- Reduce the steam and rest it aside.
- In a cooking pot, add oil, heat it, add cinnamon stick and bay leaves.
- Add one sliced onion and fry till slight brownish, also add green chillies.
- Add paste of (one sliced onion, ginger,garlic cloves, 2 green chillies), mix and saute the masala well.
- Add tomato puree and stir well and cook for few minutes.
- Add all the dry spices which are salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, roasted coriander seeds powder, roasted cumin seeds powder, chole masala powder.
- Stir the dry spices well and cook the whole mixture on sim flame until oil starts separating from the masala.
- When oil oozes out, the masala is cooked well.
- Add the boiled kabuli chana/chick peas along with its stock which is obtained after pressure cooking.
- Mix well and cook for about 10 - 15 minutes for the chole to be absorbed in the masala.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves, onion rings and serve hot with bhature.
2.Chole masala powder is readily available in markets.
3.Inorder to make the curry dark, I usually prefer adding dried amla/Indian Gooseberry while pressure cooking which is totally optional.