Punjabi Chole Recipe is an authentic traditional Punjabi cuisine made with kabuli chana, a term for chick peas in English. This Punjabi delicacy that is chole is the most popular dish across North India.
When I first came across this dish I was a bit hesitant to go for it, but when I tasted it, I was really amazed at its wonderful taste. Punjabi Chole is mostly eaten with Bhature, a kind of poori/fried bread. Chole bhature is a perfect combination which can be had at anytime of the day.
Punjabi Chole recipe can be made in different ways, some keep it dry, some make it as a gravy and some add extra ingredients to the dish. Here, I have made it in a simple and traditional way which I am sure would be loved by everyone.
For the first time I tried my hands into making this wonderful dish and it came out awesome and I have also shared a video of this to understand it even more better.
Chole are usually served during breakfasts along with bhature or poori, and the dish appears very appealing to eat. This is a great recipe which all the vegetarians and non vegetarians who are not familiar or have never made the dish should definitely give it a try.
Punjabi chole recipe looks more appealing when served with onions, chutneys, and other spicy items. The recipe which I have detailed on is a gravy kind of a recipe that goes well with poori or bhature.
So lets check out the recipe instructions and hope everybody likes them……
Recipe instructions into making Punjabi Chole Recipe:
Punjabi Chole Recipe, Chana Masala
- 250 gms Kabuli Chana/Chick peas
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 medium sized onions finely sliced
- 4 medium sized tomato made into puree
- 1 small ginger piece
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 4-5 green chillies
- salt - according to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp roasted coriander powder
- 2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chole masala powder
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves/tej patta
- Firstly, wash kabuli chana or chick peas well and soak them overnight in water.
For The Recipe:
- In a pressure cooker, boil the chana by adding enough water and pressure cooking for about 8 - 10 whistles.
- Reduce the steam and rest it aside.
- In a cooking pot, add oil, heat it, add cinnamon stick and bay leaves.
- Add one sliced onion and fry till slight brownish, also add green chillies.
- Add paste of (one sliced onion, ginger,garlic cloves, 2 green chillies), mix and saute the masala well.
- Add tomato puree and stir well and cook for few minutes.
- Add all the dry spices which are salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, roasted coriander seeds powder, roasted cumin seeds powder, chole masala powder.
- Stir the dry spices well and cook the whole mixture on sim flame until oil starts separating from the masala.
- When oil oozes out, the masala is cooked well.
- Add the boiled kabuli chana/chick peas along with its stock which is obtained after pressure cooking.
- Mix well and cook for about 10 - 15 minutes for the chole to be absorbed in the masala.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves, onion rings and serve hot with bhature.
2.Chole masala powder is readily available in markets.
3.Inorder to make the curry dark, I usually prefer adding dried amla/Indian Gooseberry while pressure cooking which is totally optional.