Rajma Chawal Recipe needs no introduction across northern indian region and is a most popular dish across North India and mainly its a punjabi cuisine made with red beans(rajma) and mixed with cooked rice.
Related Punjabi Recipes to try out:
Rajma chawal is a complete dish apt for lunch and dinners. It is made using rajma that is red kidney beans or small red beans and eaten along with rice/chawal.
When I tried punjabi chole I was so excited to try another punjabi cuisine and rajma was my attempt and it turned out awesome and tasty.
Rajma curry can easily be eaten with rice or roti. Rajma chawal recipe cannot be made instantly and it has to be soaked for hours or overnight to make this recipe.
The recipe is very easy and simple in making but it takes longer time to soak and then takes long time to pressure cook the rajma.
This punjabi dish has become one of my favorites along with punjabi chole. The rajma chawal recipe has got the gravy texture and the rajma is cooked or tenderized perfectly here. It has also been made with many dry spices to give aroma and good rajma flavor…
Rajma is made with a common base that is onions and tomato puree but with slight variations and here instead of using puree of both the ingredients I have finely chopped onions and tomatoes and then made the gravy for rajma chawal recipe and then mixed with the cooked rice.
I am sure my blog readers would love to try this version of rajma chawal and also hoping to receive feedback on this recipe.
Rajma Chawal with step by step instructions and detailed recipe below:
How to make rajma chawal recipe :
Rajma Chawal Recipe Punjabi
- 250 gms rajma/red kidney beans
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large cinnamon stick dalchini
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 3-4 vertically slit green chillies
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp roasted coriander seeds powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 tsp rajma masala powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Firstly, soak the rajma for about 8 hours or soak it overnight in water.
- Take a pressure cooker, add soaked rajma, add enough water, add salt and pressure cook the rajma for about 20-25 minutes on medium to high flame and put it aside.
- Take a cooking vessel, add oil and heat it.
- Add bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- Add slit green chillies into it.
- Add chopped onions and cook till the onions get slight golden brown color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute well for few seconds.
- Add the finely chopped tomatoes and cook until they are soft and done well.
- Add salt, red chilli powder. roasted coriander seeds powder, roasted cumin seeds powder, mix and cook the whole mixture on low flame until the masala leaves oil.
- Add the pressure cooked rajma into the cooked masala, add rajma masala powder, add garam masala powder and mix well.
- If there is water content in the gravy then do not add water else add very little water and cook.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and cook the rajma for about 15 minutes on medium flame.
- Keep stirring in between.
- Rajma curry is ready.
- Cook plain white rice as it is commonly done in everyday routine.
- Serve the cooked rice along with rajma curry.
- Rajma chawal recipe is ready !!!
2.Anaardana too can be added while cooking the curry.
3.Here in this recipe I have not added turmeric powder but it can be added if this dry spice is required or preferred by my blog readers.
4.For spicy flavor cloves too can be added.
5.If all the above ingredients are added then one can skip rajma masala powder if one wishes to as rajma masala powder contains all these spices.
5.I have used rajma masala powder and skipped few spices for a better flavor.
6.Rajma masala powder is easily available in grocery stores.