Punjabi chicken, a delicious chicken curry which is a gravy kind of a recipe made using onions and tomatoes along with some yogurt into it.
This chicken curry tastes amazing as it has many whole spices that go into it and the base of the gravy along with the spices just tastes good with either roti or paratha.
Why is it called punjabi chicken?
It is so called because in punjab chicken is made with gravy often called as “tari wala chicken” and the meaning of ‘tari’ is gravy that is gravy wala chicken curry.
How to make this tari wala chicken curry?
The procedure to make it is like any other normal curry of non veg where the base is mainly made using tomatoes and onions .
The difference to Punjabi or dhaba style of cooking the curry is the curry’s first stage is to give it an aromatic flavor of bay leaf, dried red chilies and whole spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and some do add cumin seeds to the tempering to give a flavorful effect.
The curry is then cooked by roasting onions and chicken and then cooking the curry by adding chopped tomatoes and yogurt.
Some more interesting indian chicken recipes are palak chicken, methi chicken, tandoori chicken in oven, chicken shahi korma, chicken malai tikka, chicken seekh kabab , chicken rezala, chicken sukka etc…
How long it takes to cook the gravy to make the punjabi chicken?
It actually takes about 40 minutes for the chicken to get to its good consistency of the base which roughly takes about 40 minutes to 45 minutes and then the chicken in the end is given some final touches by adding kasoori methi and malai which is the main secret to get the delicious flavor to the curry.
Dried kasoori methi is easily available in markets or the fresh fenugreek at home can be dried and stored in containers to use it anytime.
The kasoori methi goes well with many recipes mainly in north indian veg and non veg curries such as matar paneer, paneer tikka masala, masala chicken , murgh makhani, paneer butter masala, chicken butter masala etc…
Malai is often used in many northern indian curry recipes to give a creamy texture and flavor to the curries.
The combination of malai and kasuri methi lifts up the flavors of these gravies which give a creamy flavor to the curry which goes well with any kind of naan as well as rice recipes or even plain white rice.
Cleaning of the chicken:
The chicken before using has to be cleaned well by removing any skin fat present all over the chicken as well as washing it well using lemon and turmeric so that the chicken can get rid of any smell it has.
Always make sure to buy fresh chicken from the seller or from the store and do make sure to clean and wash well before use.
I would love to update with a recipe of this punjabi style chicken curry and also along with step by step pics or procedure as I continue posting and below in the recipe card I have shared detailed description on how to make the tari wala curry.
Video procedure to make punjabi chicken recipe:
Punjabi chicken curry recipe below:
punjabi chicken curry gravy recipe
- 500 gms chicken (cleaned and washed)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 cardamom/elaichi
- 2 cloves/loung
- 1 medium size cinnamon stick
- 2 whole dried red chillies
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium size onions, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tomato , chopped
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 3 tbsp thick yogurt/curd/dahi
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 3 slit green chilies
- 1/2 tsp dried kasoori methi
- 1 tbsp malai/cream
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Take a cooking pot, add oil and heat it.
- Add whole spices such as cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, dried red chillies, bay leaf an saute few seconds.
- Add the very finely chopped onions, saute until it gets soft and slight pinkish in color.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute to get rid of the raw smell.
- Add the chicken pieces and roast until the color of chicken changes.
- Add the chopped tomato, a teaspoon of red chili powder and mix well.
- Mix and cook the tomatoes until they turn soft and mushy.
- Take a small bowl, into it add yogurt, salt to taste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and give a mix.
- Add this yogurt mix into the curry and mix well.
- Cook the chicken curry for few minutes .
- In between the cooking process, add water and give a mix.
- Check for salt and add garam masala powder.
- Mix well and cook until the chicken is almost done.
- Add slit green chilies, chopped coriander leaves, kasoori methi and cook for 5 minutes.
- Lastly add butter and malai to the chicken curry and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.