Semiya payasam or vermicelli payasam is a delicious payasam recipe made using vermicelli in milk. This recipe is quite a popular recipe in south India as a sweet dish and often made during festivals or during certain occasions.
If you are looking for more dessert related recipes made with milk and other ingredients, then one should definitely try these recipes from my blog like sheer khurma, rava ladoo, badam milk, coconut ladoo .
The main ingredient required to make this dish is broken vermicelli and vermicelli is commonly called as semiya or seviyan.
They are available in two colors that is one is available in brown color and the other is available in white color and appears in the form of long thin strands.
The vermicelli or semiya has to be broken to make any semiya recipe and here I have used a brown one.
White semiya should be preferably used to make sheer khurma which is already shared on my blog.
The semiya payasam is a sweet flavored milk which tastes delicious after adding roasted vermicelli with ghee.
The vermicelli has to be roasted well in generous amount of ghee/clarified butter and mixed with milk along with some flavors added like elaichi powder/cardamom powder and dry fruits that really enhance the look and taste of the dish.
I often use semiya to make many instant recipes. Using semiya for quick recipes which can be sweet or dessert recipes or any kind of breakfast recipe such as vermicelli upma is a simple option if one is rushing up.
These also work good as bachelor recipes and semiya and upma can be quickly made without any difficulty and simple ingredients that are easily available at home.
I love making semiya sweets and is quite common in my family to make sweet dishes that use semiya as the main ingredient.
I would love to post many more semiya recipes in the coming days that are not only sweet recipes but can also be packed as kids lunch box recipes or as breakfast recipes.
Below are the details shared to make semiya payasam or vermicelli payasam which is quick in making and a simple dessert recipe made using milk and semiya.
Video procedure for semiya payasam or vermicelli payasam:
How to make semiya payasam or vermicelli payasam:
semiya payasam recipe | vermicelli payasam
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 50 gms or 1 cup semiya/seviyan
- 3 tsp ghee
- 2 tbsp almonds/badam
- 2 tbsp kaju/cashewnuts
- 2 tbsp kishmish/raisins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp elaichi powder
Boiling the milk:
- Take a vessel, add milk into it and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the flame and keep the milk boiling for few minutes.
- Switch off the flame and place it aside for later use.
Making of semiya payasam:
- Take a wok/sauce pan, into it add 2 tsp ghee and heat it on low flame.
- Add dry fruits such as almonds, kaju and raisins and saute them for few seconds on low flame.
- Take them out on a plate.
- Into the same wok/sauce pan, add 1 tsp ghee.
- Add broken vermicelli and roast them for few minutes on low flame until a slight brown color is observed and keep stirring while roasting.
- Add the boiled milk carefully.
- Mix the milk and semiya well.
- Cook until a boil appears.
- Add sugar as per requirement and mix well.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add elaichi powder, fried dry fruits and mix well.
- Cook until a thick consistency is observed.
- Switch off the flame,
- Serve in sweet bowls.
- Enjoy the dessert in hot or cold form.
- Watch the video procedure above.
2.Generally payasam consistency is thick and if thin consistency is needed then adding some more milk would give the best results.