Tomato Pappu recipe is a most popular dal recipe in South India mainly in Andhra region and telangana region. This pappu recipe is the basic dal recipe made on regular basis in these regions called as andhra pappu recipe too.
Related pappu recipes with vegetables:
This tomato dal recipe is made at home as a routine dal often apart from pappu recipe with gongura leaves. The tomato dal goes very well with plain rice and along with that goes different side dishes such as veg stir fries, chutneys and pickle and paapad as accompaniments.
Dal recipe is common in India and Indians love to try various dal recipes as we love ghar ka dal chawal more than anything else. Here in my blog I would love to keep updating different dal rrecipes for my readers to try them out which are simple and easy to make.
The tomato pappu recipe or the tomato dal recipe or tamatar ki dal is made by using toor dal/toovar dal or it is called as kandi pappu in telugu. It simply tastes awesome by adding tomatoes into the dal and also enhances the real flavor with the tadka or tempering.
Lentils or legumes are a good source of proteins and should be included in our daily diet. This tomato pappu is a common dal which can be found in andhra region households, but along with it there are many accompaniments to be eaten.
Enjoying dal with rice and ghee gives a delicious taste and having dal with ghee/clarified butter gives a feeling of a complete meal and one doesn't even ask for side dishes while eating dal, rice and ghee.
Below I shall be sharing the recipe on how to make the everyday tomato Pappu which I am sure would be mostly loved by my blog readers...
Tomato Pappu Recipe Andhra Style, Tomato Dal Recipe
- 1 ½ cup toor dal/toovar dal/yellow dal/kandi pappu
- 3 medium sized tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 2-3 green chillies cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder haldi powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 inch tamarind piece
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- 2 cups water
- salt - to taste
For The Tempering/Tadka:
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon split black gram/urad dal
- ½ teaspoon bengal gram/chana dal optional
- 2-3 garlic cloves optional
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- 5-6 curry leaves
For Cooking Dal:
- Firstly, in a pressure cooker, wash and add the toor dal.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, add the chopped onions, green chillies, tamarind piece, coriander leaves.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder into it and mix the mixture.
- Add enough water and pressure cook the whole mixture until the dal is cooked well or tenderized.
- Reduce the steam of the cooker, into the dal, add salt and mash the dal well and place the dal aside and start giving tadka.
For The Tadka:
- In a sauce pan, add oil and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and allow them to pop up or crackle.
- Add few garlic cloves as an optional ingredient for fragrance.
- Add split black gram and chana dal into it and stir well.
- Add dried red chillies by making them into pieces and saute well.
- Add curry leaves carefully and when the leaves begin to crackle transfer the tadka into the dal.
2.If no time to soak the dal then pressure cook it for a long time or give 5-6 whistles.
3.The quality of the dal too matters in pressure cooking the dal quickly.
4.Here I have added garlic cloves, urad dal, chana dal into the tadka, however they can be skipped if they are not preferred.
5.One can also skip the tamarind piece which I have added in making the dal.