Vankaya Fry Recipe is an andhra style cuisine and is a vankaya/brinjal recipe in which vankaya slices are stir fried and eaten as a side dish.
Brinjal is referred to as vankaya in telugu and usually vankaya in andhra region of south india is made with many ways and this recipe is stir fried or roasted and it is usually called as vankaya vepudu…
This vepudu recipe goes perfectly as an accompaniment with tomato dal, palak dal, pappu charu, khatti dal hyderabadi and plain rice and tastes delicious if served as side dishes with dal or pappu recipes.
Whenever there are meals with rice, dals and curries, side dishes too are served as accompaniments in andhra meals platter and there are various stir fried veggies that are usually served and vankaya fry is one stir fried veggie among them.
Vankaya is referred as baingan in hindi/urdu and the technique of frying is different in different regions.
In andhra version vankaya is stir fried or roasted in oil, but before that tempering is given for vegetable fry. I usually make these fry recipes in various ways.
Sometimes I give tempering in andhra style and sometimes I simply fry them in onions and I must say every method of stir frying the vegetables turns out yummy…
Vankaya is sometimes made with aloo too and the combination is perfect and here I have used plain baingan and made the baingan fry. Andhra region is known for various and interesting food culture which are amazing and give amazing flavors…
Let us take a look at the recipe below on how to make vankaya fry recipe or baingan fry recipe:
Vankaya Fry Recipe Below:
- 500 gms brinjal/baingan/vanakaya
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 slit green chillies
- 4-5 dried red chillies
- 5-6 curry leaves
- salt - to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder(haldi)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp roasted coriander seeds powder(dhania powder)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Firstly, cut down the vankaya/brinjal into thin long slices(remove the stem and cut into long thin pieces) and transfer the slices in water, add salt into the water and wash well.
- Doing so helps in getting rid of the unwanted baingan smell.
- Take a frying pan, into it add oil and heat it.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow them to splutter or pop up.
- Add slit green chiilies, dried red chillies and stir for few seconds.
- Add curry leaves and let them crackle.
- Add vankaya slices and mix well.
- Add salt, mix and let the baingan cook for about 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add turmeric powder, mix, cover the lid and let it cook for another ten minutes.
- Add red chilli powder, roasted coriander seeds powder, mix well and cook until the vankaya pieces get soft and keep stirring in between.
- Add coriander leaves all over the stir fried baingan/vankaya.
- Serve vankaya fry/vankaya vepudu along with andhra meals!!!
2. Also add cumin seeds powder if preferred.
3.While giving tempering/popu/tadka, urad dal and chana dal too can be added and it gives an amazing flavor too.
4.Stirring in between while frying veggies is important as the base may burn if not stirred.