Chepala pulusu, a traditional south indian andhra style fish curry made using fish pieces and tamarind extract.
I have made this recipe with the help of a video and do check out the video for traditional style of making pulusu.
It is a very popular fish curry commonly called as fish pulusu in south indian telangana and andhra regions.
‘Pulusu’ is basically a tamarind based gravy and here I have made this curry by using tamarind based gravy, onions, tomatoes and fish pieces.
To make this pulusu, we need fish pieces and washing of fish pieces is very important while making any fish recipe.
The recipe is very easy and a very commonly made gravy down south. Here, in this gravy we can not only add fish but we can add several other vegetables too in this pulusu.
Fish recipes are very common in coastal regions and fish is good for health too. Eating fish once in a while is a good source of vitamin A and is good for eyesight too.
Including fish in our diet in any form is a healthy diet and there are various ways a fish can be made and used in recipes.
In my blog I would like to add more fish related recipes and sea food related recipes too as I keep writing down recipes and hopefully including videos too for more help with the recipe.
How to clean fish:
1.Always wash the fish well under running water 3-4 times. Also wash it well by using salt and haldi too.
2.If there is any smell coming out of fish even after washing with salt and haldi then, add some lemon drops and wash it well again.
3.Doing this cleans the fish quite well and removes any sort of unwanted smell too.
This pulusu is quite an easy and a very popular fish base in south indian regions.
Video procedure for andhra fish curry or fish pulusu:
Chepala pulusu recipe or andhra fish curry:
- 7-8 fish pieces
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- salt as required
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds(aavalu)
- 3-4 green chillies vertically slit
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 3 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp roasted coriander seeds powder
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 lemon sized tamarind, soaked well and juice extracted(approximately make a juice equal to two bowls)
- 2 green chillies slit vertically
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ tsp methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds(aavalu)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds(jeelakarra)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds/dhania
- Take the fish pieces, wash them well under running water several times.
- Remove any scales or unwanted things that appear while washing.
- Wash it with some haldi and salt water by rubbing the pieces again under running water.
- Once washing is done well, add some turmeric powder/haldi and salt, mix the spices well with every fish piece and rest aside for 20 -30 minutes.
- Fish is ready to be used for cooking purpose.
- In a pan, add some methi seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, dry roast them for few seconds on low flame.
- Add these roasted ingredients into a blending jar and make them into a fine powder.
- Rest this powder aside for later use.
- In a cooking pot, add oil and heat it.
- Add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add vertically slit green chillies and curry leaves.
- Into it, add finely chopped onions and saute for few minutes.
- Add salt as per requirement and saute for few minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell disappears.
- Into it, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, roasted coriander seeds powder, mix these spices well.
- Cook the spices until oil leaves the sides.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes, cook the tomatoes and spices until tomatoes get soft.
- Add the tamarind extracted juice, add chopped green chillies, curry leaves, coriander leaves.
- Add the blended fish pulusu powder.
- Add the marinated fish pieces into the pulusu.
- Cook the pulusu by bringing a boil and cook it for about 10 minutes until the fish pieces get soft.
- Do not stir much as the fish may break into pieces.
- A slight stir in between cooking the pulusu would be enough.
- Chepala pulusu is ready to be served.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and enjoy!!!