Coconut chutney is a popular chutney all across south india which is made using fresh coconut commonly eaten as a side dish with idli dosa or any south indian breakfast recipes.
Chutneys are highly popular all across south indian states like andhra, telangana, tamil nadu, kerala etc… Not only this particular chutney but many other chutneys are made here and every chutney tastes yum…
There are certain chutneys suitable to be eaten with rice and there are some other side dish chutneys which are good to be eaten with breakfasts like idli, dosa, vada, uttapam, bondas etc…
Coconut chutney is mainly made with coconut but there are many other ingredients that are added into this chutney to make it a delicious one.
This chutney is made with many variations and every variation is a perfect combination to be eaten with all kinds of south indian breakfast recipes.
Here I have fresh coconut and roasted chana dal as key ingredients in 1:1/2 ratio and also added few other ingredients to give more flavors to it.
I will also be sharing other variations of coconut chutney with time and hope my blog readers enjoy every chutney recipe shared on this blog…
This chutney here is a slightly thick chutney suitable to be eaten with south indian breakfasts.
Below are the recipe details on how to make coconut chutney also called as thengai chutney in some parts of south india.
Watch the video procedure to make thengai chutney or coconut chutney:
Below are the list of ingredients to make this chutney and also including salt into it…
How to make coconut chutney recipe:
Coconut Chutney Recipe For Idli Dosa, Thengai Chutney
For the chutney:
- 1 cup fresh coconut cut into fine pieces/grated
- 1/2 cup roasted chana dal
- 6 green chillies chopped
- 2-3 small pieces of tamarind
- 1 small piece of ginger optional
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves optional
- salt - to taste
- 1 cup water approx.../as per requirement
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal/split black gram
- 2 dried red chillies chopped
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Remove the shell of the coconut and finely chop the coconut into pieces or grate the coconut
Blending the chutney:
- In a bender, add the chopped grated coconut .
- Add in the roasted chana dal.
- Add green chillies, tamarind pieces, coriander leaves, small ginger piece and salt as per taste.
- Blend all the ingredients together.
- Add water as per requirement of the consistency and blend again into a fine paste.
For the tempering:
- In a tadka pan, add oil and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and let them pop up.
- Add in urad dal/split black gram.
- Add dried red chillies and stir well.
- Add curry leaves and let them crackle.
- Transfer the tadka all over the chutney.
- Serve the coconut chutney with idli/dosa/vada/uttapam.