Dosakaya pappu is a traditional dal or pappu recipe made using dosakaya or yellow cucumber to be eaten with dal or roti…
It is a thick dal made using dosakaya, onions, tomatoes, tamarind, green chillies and with aromatic tempering.
In India down south many pappu recipes are made and with every vegetable a pappu recipe is made such as tomato pappu or tomato dal, palakura pappu or palak dal, sorakaya pappu, beerakaya pappu, pappu charu, masoor dal, dal tadka recipe.
Every vegetable tastes good if made in the form of pappu or dal and this particular vegetable tastes yummy if made in the form of a pappu or pachadi which I have already shared as dosakaya pachadi or dosakaya chutney.
I would love to update with more of pappu recipes, rasam recipes and sambar recipes which form the main meals down south.
Dosakaya is a common vegetable found commonly down south and it appears as a yellow round cucumber which is also called as budma in urdu.
In hyderabad this particular dish is also made by mixing it with meat and is a very popular combination among muslims household. But in andhra region or telangana region it is eaten by making it in the form of a thokku, pachadi or chutney in various ways…
Down south dal recipes or pappu recipes are incomplete without tempering commonly called as popu in telugu and the tadka actually lifts up the flavors of the dish.
The tempering is sometimes given with garlic flavors which gives a real taste to the pappu of any vegetable…
Below are the recipe details of dosakaya pappu or dosakaya tomato pappu…
Dosakaya Pappu Recipe:
Dosakaya Pappu Recipe Andhra, Dosakaya Tomato Pappu
For pressure cooking the dal:
- 2 dosakaya peeled cut into half, deseeded and cut into small cubes
- 2 cups toor dal/toovar dal/yellow dal
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 to matoes chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 4-5 slit green chillies
- 3 small pieces of tamarind
- 2-3 cups of water
For tempering the dal:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4-5 dried red chillies
- 5-6 curry leaves
- salt - to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder optional
For pressure cooking the dal:
- In a pressure cooker, add the toor dal, add dosakaya pieces, add water, add turmeric powder.
- Into it add chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, green chillies, tamarind pieces.
- Also add a tsp of oil into the dal mixture.
- Pressure cook the dal until it is perfectly cooked or for 3-4 whistles on medium flame.
- Reduce the steam.
Mash the dal:
- Add some salt, red chilli powder and mash the dal well.
For the tempering:
- In a tadka pan, add oil and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and allow them to pop up.
- Add garlic cloves and saute.
- Add chopped onions and cook till slight pinkish.
- Add the dried chillies and stir well for few seconds.
- Add curry leaves and let them crackle.
- Transfer the tadka all over the dal and mix.
- Serve the dal with rice, papad and chutney.