Fried Onions recipe is a simple recipe on how to deep fry onions which is an essential ingredient that can be used in many dishes like biryani or curries or korma recipes.
There are certain spices or essential requirements that are a must learn and made at home for special rice delicacies and making them homemade is the best option for a better taste like frying onions for rice recipes or like homemade ginger garlic paste which gives out a better taste in main dish recipes...
About the recipe:
In this recipe I would like to show my readers how easy it is to deep fry them and an important ingredient to make rich dishes like korma recipes or biryani recipes such as pakistani biryani, mutton biryani , hyderabadi veg biryani recipe etc... where the dish is incomplete without adding the fried onions or birista as it is commonly called in Urdu language.
One more such dish where I have used these fried onions is chicken dum biryani and any more korma recipes.
If the onions are fried and kept in an air tight container then, it can be stored for few days and the deep fried onions can be used in any recipe without wasting much of a time.
Apart from making these homemade stuff, it is also important to prepare freshly home made spices to be used in cooking such as cumin powder and dhaniya powder which I always use home made.
As they take a lot of time to be deep fried especially, if they are fried in large quantity, it is better to make them in advance and store them for later use for many other recipes which require this ingredient.
If slicing onions is a difficult task then there are lots of onion slicers available in the market which saves our time and tears.... Watch this space as I will be showing many recipes using this ingredient and making delicious recipes....
It is also called as pyaz ka barista or onion barista for biryani...
Below I would be sharing how to deep fry onions for any biryani such as hyderabadi chicken biryani etc...and is a very easy procedure to follow.
How to fry onions or birista step by step with photos and procedure:
- Heat oil in a pan or a wok for frying the onions. Add generous amount of oil to deep fry the sliced onions for biryani or korma recipes. The onion flavored oil does not go waste as it can again be used in curries or gravies.
- Here, I am using 2 large onions or if you have medium size onions then use 4... The onions after deep fried give about 1 cup of deep fried onions which is enough to make 1 kg biryani or korma for 4-5 people.
- The onions are finely sliced and also should be thinly sliced length wise. If the sliced onions are thickly sliced then they take longer to deep fry as well as cannot be fried evenly. When the oil is hot, add the sliced onions into hot oil carefully. If there are layers of onions then crush slightly with hand and drop them in oil.
- Add all the onions or if frying in large quantity for storage purpose then fry them in batches.
- Take a skimmer and start frying them on medium heat initially. Use the spatula and keep stirring in between to fry the onions evenly.
- The onions after few minutes gather together as they start becoming soft and we need to keep mixing so that all the sliced onions are dipped in oil. This happens as you keep stirring.
- After 15 minutes as we keep frying they almost reach a pink color and here we need to be careful. Immediately low down the heat.
- Keep stirring on low heat so that all the onions get fried evenly from all sides. If not stirred then they do not get evenly fried.
- As soon as onions start getting golden its high time we be careful and start removing them immediately as they start getting darker quickly and give burnt smell. Therefore, removing them at right time is extremely important. Slight delay in taking out can give us a dark color fried onion and this point is high time while frying.
- Take them out with the help of a skimmer and place them on an absorbent paper. Place all the fried onions on a tissue paper so that the paper absorbs all the oil.
- Spread the onions on the paper and not place them on each other. Let them loose on the paper and leave them free to the room temperature. After certain point they get crispy texture. Thus, it gives us crispy fried onions which can be used for rich and nutritious recipes.
Note: If you leave them open to the room temperature for a long time without letting loose we cannot obtain crispy fried onions and they appear to be sticky if touched with hands. Spreading them away loosely is an important part of making the recipe.
FAQ'S FOR THE RECIPE:
How to get the onion crispy in texture?
It is advisable to deep fry them on low flame if there is plenty of time but if frying in a hurry then deep fry on medium to low flame and take them out and separate them after taking out and place them open to room temperature. They become crispy if let open to room temperature.
The onions can be checked in between and separated to be free so that they get crispy soon and also check whether they are able to be crushed or not.
If they attain a crushing texture when crushed with hands, it is a sign that they have become crispy and time to use them in any recipe or biryani or can be stored.
How to fry onions quickly?
It is suggested to add some salt to get golden color quickly and this is a very old tip being followed for so many years. If frying small quantity of onions then to make them golden quickly, just add some salt and they get the color in no time.
How to store the fried onions?
Once the onions attain their crispy texture after exposing them to room temperature they can be used instantly for any biryani or dum biryani as well as for gravies.
If not using the fried onions they can also be stored and it is easy to store them. Take an air tight container, transfer the fried onions into the container, seal them tightly and they can be stored in refrigerator with fresh fragrance for at least 25 to 30 days.
They can be stored air tight more than 30 days in fridge but they lose their fresh fragrance and does not give the much needed taste when used in recipes.
Therefore, storing them for a month is advisable. Fried onions are easily available in stores but homemade onions used in recipes give the best taste.
Video procedure for the fried onions recipe:
Fried Onion Recipe or How to fry onions for biryani:
Fried Onions Recipe(Birista), How To Fry Onions For Biryani
- 3 - 4 large sized onions vertically and thinly sliced
- oil for deep frying
- Firstly, add oil in a wok and heat it hot enough to deep fry.
- When the oil is heated up, add the thinly sliced onions.
- Stir for a while.
- Fry the onions on medium to sim flame.
- Keep stirring them in between to fry them evenly.
- Fry them until a pinkish color is observed.
- Keep stirring in between so that all the onions are fried well and evenly attain the pinkish color.
- At this time be careful as they start getting golden from pinkish within no time.
- Be careful and try to remove them as soon as they start changing the color.
- When the onions are fried well and start attaining golden brown color take them out.
- Place them on a tissue paper and spread them loosely.
- Let the oil be absorbed by the tissue paper.
- Place them uncovered for 5 - 10 minutes so that they become dry and get the crispy texture to the onions.
- When the onions are crispy and crushy, they are ready to be used.
- Store them in an air tight container.
- They can be used for several days if stored air tight.
- Do not fry the onions on very high flame.
- Always fry them on medium to low flame.
- If fried on high heat, the onions may turn darker and lose the flavor which is actually required for the recipe.