Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe is a pakki yakhni method of making chicken biryani where chicken is cooked before placing on dum.
This is a different method of making biryani and in Hyderabad usually biryani is made in two ways one is called as ‘kachi yakhni biryani’ and the other one is known as ‘pakki yakhni biryani’.
Other biryani recipes on the blog are egg biryani, lucknowi biryani . Do try all these biryani recipes from the blog and do give us your feebdback.
In Kachi yakhni biryani chicken is marinated with herbs and spices and then put on dum along with rice for a long time so that the chicken and rice is well cooked.
In pakki yakhni chicken biryani, chicken is cooked before and put on dum for a short period of time since the chicken is already cooked.
In this post I would like to share pakki yakhni style of making of hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe where the chicken is cooked already and put on dum along with cooked rice for a short period of time.
Biryani can always be served with raita like raita or can be served with bagara baingan, mirchi ka salan etc…
Chicken biryani recipe that I have already shared is a very delicious quick and easy method of making dum biryani and that is how biryani is put on dum in hyderabadi method of making biryani.
But when I shared chicken biryani recipe on my youtube channel, I have received many queries regarding the softness of chicken.
Many asked me whether the chicken would be cooked or not and the chicken would be raw if chicken is not cooked before and so on…
Actually kachi yakhni method is the quickest and best method of making chicken biryani if one has the basic idea of dum procedure.
But since it is confusing so many out there, I have decided to share another common version of making biryani where the biryani is cooked before and can easily be put on dum where there is no fear of chicken not being cooked.
Rice used for making biryani:
- Rice is the major part in making biryani.
- Generally, it is better to use basmati rice and while using basmati rice, one should make sure to make use of aged basmati rice since it gives long grains and does not make the biryani soggy during dum.
- If basmati rice is not handy then make use of ordinary or normal rice but do not soak the normal rice. Soaking can make your biryani soggy.
- In this method of pakki yakhni biryani rice should be almost 85% cooked, that is cook the rice for atleast 10-12 minutes and then strain.
- Adding lemon extract and oil while cooking the rice helps the rice turn out long and it does not appear soggy.
- Follow these steps to get long grainy rice in the outcome.
- Do not cook the rice for more than 12 minutes else biryani might turn soggy and tasteless.
I have also shared a video for this recipe to help my viewers understand the recipe in a much better way and it can be made in an hour.
Do check out the video and also the step by step instructions on how to make hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe below.
Check out the video procedure for making hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe:
Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe:
hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe, hyderabadi biryani
To cook chicken:
- 2 tbsp oil
- whole garam masala 1 cinnamon stick, 3 cloves, 1 cardamom
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 750 gms chicken cleaned and washed well
- salt – to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 6-7 slit green chillies
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup fried onions
- 3/4 cup beaten yogurt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper corn powder/kali mirch powder
- 2 cups water
To cook rice:
- 600 gms basmati rice
- 2-3 glasses of water
- salt to taste
- whole garam masala 1 cinnamon stick, 5-6 black pepper corns, 1 cardamom, 3 cloves
- 1/2 tsp shahi zeera/caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp lemon extract
To give dum and garnishing:
- 1 tbsp lemon extract
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves/pudina
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves/hara dhaniya
- 1 tbsp saffron flavored milk or orange food color mixed in 2-3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup fried onions
- 1 tsp ghee
Step 1(Cooking of chicken):
- Firstly, take a heavy bottomed, flat base non stick handi, add oil and heat it.
- Add whole garam masala.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for minutes on low flame to get rid of raw smell.
- Add chicken, mix and roast the chicken until the color changes.
- Add salt as per taste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, mix well and cook the masala for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add slit green chillies, chopped coriander leaves, fried onions, mix well and cook the gravy for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- Add beaten yogurt, mix and cook the chicken gravy on low flame until oil leaves the sides.
- Add garam masala powder, black pepper corn powder, give a mix.
- Add 2 cups of water into the chicken gravy, mix and cook the chicken for 5 minutes on low flame by covering the lid.
- While the chicken is getting cooked, cook the rice as well.
Step 2(Cooking of rice):
- Wash the basmati rice and soak the rice for about 20 minutes while the chicken is getting cooked.
- Take a pan, add water for boiling.
- Into the water add salt as per taste, whole garam masala such as cinnamon stick, black pepper corns, cardamom, cloves, shahi zeera.
- Add oil into the water and lemon extract too into the water.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the soaked rice into the boiling water.
- Stir and cook the rice until it is 85% cooked.
- Switch off the flame.
- Strain the rice with the help of a strainer.
- Place the strained rice aside.
Step 3 (Giving of the dum):
- Check if the chicken is 3/4th cooked or not.
- Now, over the chicken add the complete rice and spread it evenly.
- Add the lemon extract all over the rice.
- Add the mint leaves.
- Pour the saffron infused milk all over the rice.
- Add oil and fried onions all over, spread the onions evenly.
- Add ghee all over the rice.
- Cover the lid of the handi.
- Cover the hole of the lid with a clove or atta dough if there is a hole.
- Place a tawa on the stove.
- Place the handi on the tawa.
- Dum on high flame for 10 minutes.
- Dum on low flame to medium flame for 10 more minutes.
- Switch off the flame.
- Take the biryani out from the bottom to the top.
- Serve it hot on a plate.
- Garnish with lemon wedges or onions rings.
- Serve hot with raita.
2. Saffron flavored milk is nothing but 3-4 saffron strands soaked in 2-3 tbsp milk or we can also mix orange food color in some milk and add to the rice. We can use either of the colors to add to the biryani.
3. Always place a tawa/griddle while giving dum or else the base of the handi or vessel gets burnt.
4. While washing chicken always make sure that the chicken is washed well with turmeric powder or lemon extract.
Do give us your feedback on this version of hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe and do not forget to comment below if you have any queries related to this recipe and also do subscribe to our youtube channel and like us on facebook.