Hariyali chicken or chicken hariyali is a chicken recipe which is basically green in color. It is made using green herbs and chicken.
The taste of the chicken is quite delicious and this is in the form of hariyali chicken fry but it can also be made in many gravy forms like chicken green masala, green chicken curry which are usually in gravy forms.
Do try some more delicious indian chicken recipes on the blog like chicken masala, chicken pulao, chilli chicken, chicken pakora, chicken biryani, kfc chicken recipe, chicken popcorn, chicken manchurian, pepper chicken, chicken 65, chicken fried rice etc…
Here I have made this recipe just by adding herbs like coriander, pudina, green chillies and some onions that have been nicely fried.
I would like to make many forms of chicken which are preferred in green color. If you reach my blog then you have landed into the chicken world as I will be posting with many chicken recipes on my yummy indian kitchen blog.
Chicken is one such non veg recipe which can be made into thousands of varieties and one can never get bored of eating it.
This is one of the best chicken recipes so far made by me and would like to add a gravy green chicken too in my upcoming chicken recipes.
Here, we need to make a paste of all the green herbs that we use. The paste that is added gives a green color to the curry.
The proportion of the green herbs and chillies can be changed according to our own wish.
Some prefer to use more of pudina leaves, some prefer to use more of coriander leaves and some prefer to eat spicy so in that case green chillies can be increased.
The basic idea to make hariyali chicken is to use green herbs and spices. This turns your complete dish into green in color or slight geeen in color depending on how much quantity we use the greens.
Here, we do not add any sort of red color or red chilli powder, all we need is to add green chillies that have been made into a paste and this gives the spicy flavor to the curry.
Adding more spicy flavors to this chicken hariyali fry is black pepper powder and overall this dish is a mouth watering delicacy.
This recipe is popular in northern indian regions and in hyderabad too…
Without much ado, I would be giving the recipe on how to make hariyali chicken and do give us your feedback if you like this recipe.
Hariyali chicken video procedure:
How to make hariyali chicken:
- 1 bunch coriander leaves/hara dhaniya
- 2 tbsp mint leaves/pudina
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250 gms chicken cleaned and washed well with lemon
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 medium size onions finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp haldi/turmeric powder
- salt - to taste
- 1/2 tsp roasted coriander seeds powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves for garnishing
Firstly, take a blender, add coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chillies chopped, salt and blend it into a fine paste.
Place this paste aside for later use.
In a wok or a pan, add oil and heat it.
Into it, add sliced onions and cook them until they turn slight golden in color.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell disappears.
Add the chicken pieces and saute until the color of the chicken changes.
Add haldi and mix it well, cook for few minutes.
Add the hara masala paste, mix well and cook until the masala is cooked well and until oil leaves the sides.
Add salt to taste, roasted coriander seeds powder, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, mix well and cook for few minutes until the masala gets cooked well.
Add water, mix well and cook until chicken gets tenderized or until it gets soft.
Lastly, add coriander leaves for garnishing and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Switch off the flame.
Serve hot with rice or chapathi.
1. One can even use a pressure cooker to cook this chicken curry.
2. After adding all the spices and water that is at step 8 we can even pressure cook the chicken to get it cooked quickly.
3. One can even increase or decrease the quantity of green herbs depending on one's preference.
4. This is a dry form of hariyali chicken and if one wants more gravy then slightly increase the quantity of water while cooking the chicken.
5. Since this is a dry chicken form, one can use it as a side dish or one can eat it with roti/chapati and rice.