Chicken biryani recipe is shared along with step by step details and a video procedure. This is a special eid recipe that can be made for eid all across the world and also for several festivals, weddings and occasions.
Best accompaniments with biryani:
Types of Hyderabadi biryani recipes:
I have shared a delicious chicken biryani recipe using dum method which is very easy and tastes the best. I would like my blog readers to make this recipe for Eid and serve their family members.
TIPS TO MAKE A GREAT BIRYANI:
- The most important point is the quality of the chicken or mutton used to make biryani. The meat used has to be fresh and tender for the flavors of the chicken flesh or meat to get infused into the rice.
- Secondly, the rice that has to be used to make a good and appealing biryani has to be the aged basmati rice. Aged here means the rice should be a year old or two for the biryani rice grains to grow long while cooking which gives a good looking biryani.
- If the basmati rice that is used is not aged, the rice grains do not turn long in length while cooking and there are high chances of the biryani getting soggy while cooking on dum. The reason is nothing but the rice cooks faster than the meat or chicken as it is not aged rice. Newly manufactured rice cooks quickly and rice can get soggy before the chicken tenderizes.
- One more important point to remember is whenever biryani is made using basmati rice, always make sure to soak the rice for at least 35 to 40 minutes. The reason for soaking is to make the rice grains longer while boiling and they also do not get hard during the time of dum.
- Most of the times, the rice does not get cooked properly and the reason is not soaking.
- Another important part of biryani making is when basmati rice is added into the boiling water do not over cook the rice and make sure rice is only 70% done that is it should not be fully cooked. If we dum the rice with fully cooked rice, the biryani turns out completely soggy and totally damaged.
- The best idea to know if rice is 70% done is to just cook the rice for 9-10 minutes in boiling water. Switch off the flame and strain it immediately. If the rice is too aged then cook for another minute and not more than that. Strain the rice and make sure all the water is drained well.
- While placing dum, always use a heavy flat bottom vessel. If normal vessel is used then the whole masala that is placed at the bottom burns and biryani spoils completely.
- Make sure there are no openings to the lid used to cover the biryani. Try to cover the lid tightly by placing any weight on the lid to make sure biryani is cooking well inside and not letting the steam escape out.
- Follow these simple techniques and every biryani turns out yum.
Tips while using normal rice:
- Do not soak for more than 20 minutes for normal rice and just boil for 8 minutes and strain the rice.
Biryani can be made in several ways and this is one of the several ways of making hyderabadi biryani and hopefully would be posting several ways of making hyderabadi recipes using chicken and mutton.
Biryani making in south indian regions like tamil nadu, kerala is totally different from hyderabadi biryani and in Hyderabad usually we make use of dum method to make the biryani recipes…
In this biryani recipe, I have used the chicken, marinated it with some aromatic spices and herbs. The following step is cooking of the rice and adding the marinated chicken to it and giving dum.
The outcome of the recipe is as good as the restaurant style and what could be a better feeling than getting restaurant like flavors at home..
I have used common aromatic spices that are used in every household to make this biryani.
How long chicken should be marinated:?
- This method is a dum biryani method and I have marinated the chicken for about half an our to speed up the cooking process and yet I got the best flavors.
- To get more flavors into the chicken, it can be marinated for more than an hour to get all the masala flavors infused into the chicken well. The longer we marinate, the better the meat tastes.
- Generally, chicken softens soon but if not marinated well biryani turns out good, but the chicken pieces in the biryani lack in taste and masala.
- Therefore, be it chicken or mutton, marination is the main step for the chicken or meat to taste the best.
The recipe can not only made during eid but also for various other occasions.
Chicken biryani is the most sought after dish all across the world and I thought eid is the best time to share this recipe.
I hope this wonderful chicken biryani recipe is loved by all of them and hope to receive feedbacks after trying out the recipe.
Here, in this recipe I have made use of basmati rice and making use of basmati rice for dum biryani recipes is highly recommended to get restaurant like flavors in the biryani.
I have already shared other variations of biryani which are mentioned above with the help of links and would like to update many more biryani varieties as I keep posting.
Do check out the recipe details below and also the video procedure for chicken biryani recipe.
Finally I wish everyone EID MUBARAK!!!
How to make chicken biryani recipe, Eid special recipe:
chicken biryani recipe restaurant style
For marinating chicken:
- 750 gms chicken cleaned and washed well
- salt - to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp full ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder (powder of cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- 1/2 bunch coriander leaves
- 10-12 mint leaves
- 6 green chillies vertically slit
- 1 cup fried onions (5-6 medium size onions deep fried)
- 1 cup beaten yogurt
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp lemon extracted juice
- 1 tbsp oil
For giving dum:
- 600 gms basmati rice
- salt - to taste
- whole garam masala (4 small cinnamon sticks, 4 cloves, 3 cardamoms, 6-7 black pepper corns)
- 1 tsp shahi zeera/caraway seeds
- 1 tsp oil
For garnishing/seasoning while giving dum:
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp fried onions
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8-10 mint leaves
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp onion flavored oil (oil remained after frying onions)
- 1 tsp ghee
- 3-4 saffron strands mixed with 2 tbsp of milk
- Firstly, in a bowl, add the chicken pieces, add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, garam masala powder, black pepper corn powder, coriander leaves, mint leaves, slit green chillies, fried onions.
- Mix this whole mixture well.
- Add beaten yogurt, green cardamom powder, lemon extract, oil.
- Mix the whole marinade well so that the masala is coated well to every chicken piece.
- After mixing well, marinate the chicken for half an hour.
Cooking the rice:
- Wash the basmati rice and soak the rice in water for about 30-35 minutes.
- Take a handi, add water into it, add salt as per taste, add whole garam masala (cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamoms, black pepper corns).
- Add shahi zeera and bring the water to a boil.
- Add the soaked rice into the boiling water.
- Cook the rice until it is 70% done or for about 7-8 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and strain the rice.
- Take a handi, add little oil all over the base.
- Add the marinated chicken at the base and spread the marinade evenly.
- Over the chicken, add the rice that has been strained and spread it evenly.
- Finally garnish the biryani with green cardamom powder, some fried onions, coriander leaves, mint leaves, lemon extract, some oil, ghee, saffron flavored milk.
- Cover the handi with a lid.
- Place a tawa on the stove.
- Place the handi on the tawa.
- Dum the biryani on high flame for 15 minutes.
- Dum the biryani on low flame for 30-35 minutes.
- Switch off the flame.
- Biryani is done.
- Serve the chicken biryani.
- Watch the video procedure above.
- Follow the tip mentioned in the blog post for a perfect biryani.