Jeera Aloo Recipe is an aloo recipe that is boiled and diced and sauteed in tempering with the flavours of cumin seeds and cumin powder/jeera powder and also few other spices. This aloo recipe is healthy as the potatoes/aloo are boiled and not fried.
About the recipe
The aloo recipe using cumin powder and coriander powder is quite simple and easy and does not require lots of hard work.
This simple recipe can be made in a while and does not require many ingredients and it just needs few basic ingredients which are easily available in indian kitchens.
This is basically a north Indian or a Punjabi dish which is usually eaten with roti or it can be taken as a side dish along with dal and rice.
To make this recipe do not use potatoes that have lots of starch or sweetness in the potatoes as the actual cumin flavour dies if the potatoes are sweet in the curry.
Make sure to use small aloo which does not contain sweetness and tastes chatpata by adding the cumin powder.
Aloo is a vegetable which is usually liked by all age groups and this wonder vegetable can be used to make various kinds of recipes and in every form.
There are many varieties of side dishes that can be used to make using this veggie such as aloo bajji and every recipe tried out would turn out amazing and tasty.
Jeera aloo recipe is a punjabi side dish but this simple recipe can be tried out in various ways by adding spices of our own choice and mainly giving the jeera flavor to it.
Below are the detailed instructions on how to make this simple recipe of aloo with jeera powder flavour.
Jeera Aloo Recipe or Aloo Jeera
- 4-5 medium size aloo/potatoes
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3-4 slit green chillies
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted coriander seeds powder
- salt - to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander leaves
Boil the potatoes:
- Firstly, take a pressure cooker, into it, add aloo/potatoes, add water enough to dip the potatoes.
- Add some salt.
- Pressure cook the potatoes/aloo until they get soft or for about 5-6 whistles on high flame.
- Reduce the steam.
- Take the potatoes and remove the peel of the boiled potatoes.
- Dice the potatoes using a knife.
- Rest the diced potatoes aside.
For the jeera aloo recipe:
- Take a wok, into it, add oil and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Add slit green chillies into it.
- Reduce the flame.
- Add roasted cumin seeds powder.
- Add roasted coriander seeds powder and mix.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Add red chilli powder and turmeric powder and stir the mixture well.
- Add in the diced potatoes which were kept aside.
- Keep tossing the wok until the diced aloo gets coated well with all the spice mixture.
- Cook for one or two minutes.
- Lastly add in some freshly chopped coriander leaves and toss them again.
- Serve hot with roti or paratha.