Kaddu Ka Dalcha is basically a Hyderabadi recipe made out of lentils and Kaddu, commonly called as lauki or doodhi in Hindi and Bottle Gourd in English.
It is a dal recipe which is very different and this recipe does not need any tempering.
It goes best if served with bagara rice and other pulao recipes but bagara khana and dalcha is the perfect combination to be served….
Dals are very much needed in every Indian household in everyday life. Dal is a must dish along with other dishes. This dalcha recipe is a vegetarian dish but dalcha can also be made with mutton and is already posted in my blog.
This recipe is commonly called as kaddu ka dalcha in Hyderabad. Bottle Gourd can be used to make different recipes and today I decided to share dalcha recipe with my readers.
In this recipe lentils and lauki are cooked separately, combined and boiled by adding aromatic flavors. My blog is already flooded with many Hyderabadi delicacies like bheja fry , bagara khana etc…
It gives a fantastic flavor and this dish can be served by paapad or any sort of fries. For non vegetarians, dishes like starters go really well as a side dish with this recipe.
Usually in hyderabad accompaniments like tala hua gosht recipe or shami kebab recipe hyderabadi style go really well with dalcha.
I have already shared Mutton Dalcha Recipe but into that I have added mutton. But I would also like to include my vegetarian viewers and decided to share this veg recipe that is nothing but Kaddu Ka Dalcha/Lauki Ka Dalcha.
If you are looking forward to making Hyderabadi non veg recipes with dal then dal gosht is a do try dish..
How To Make Kaddu Ka Dalcha Recipe Below:
Kaddu Ka Dalcha Recipe
For Tenderizing Dal:
- 1 cup soaked toovar dal yellow lentils or chana dal(bengal gram)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 to matoes finely chopped
- water 2 cups
For The Lauki Curry:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp shahi zeera seeds caraway seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 2-3 slit green chillies
- 1 small size bottle gourd/Lauki cut into long pieces
- 2 medium sized onions finely sliced
- 2-3 to matoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 cup water
- salt -to taste
- 1 small lemon sized tamarind extracted pulp
- 2 tsp coriander leaves finely chopped for garnishing
- 1 tsp garam masala powder powder of dalchini, elaichi, cloves, shahjeera
- 5-6 curry leaves while boiling
For Tenderising Dal:
- In a pressure cooker, add toovar dal, add turmeric powder, add tomatoes, add water and pressure cook until the dal is tenderized.
- Cook it for about 10 minutes or 5-6 whistles.
- Reduce the steam of the cooker, mash the dal by adding salt, add tamarind pulp, mix well, check if salt is required and keep aside.
For Cooking Bottle Gourd/Lauki:
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil, add cinnamon stick, add caraway seeds, add curry leaves, add slit green chillies, add the chopped tomatoes, add the onion slices and saute for a while.
- Add bottle gourd(lauki) slices, add ginger garlic paste, add turmeric powder, add pinch of red chilli powder, mix well, add water, add salt as per taste and pressure cook for about 3 whistles for the lauki to get soft.
- Lastly Combine everything that is the dal with tamarind pulp and the cooked Kaddu curry all together.
- To it add garam masala powder, curry leaves, coriander leaves, add some sugar to kill the sour taste(optional).
- Bring the whole mixture to a boil on sim flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice or bagara khana.
2.Also add few mint leaves as optional ingredient while boiling dal to enhance the taste.