Masoor dal is a traditional Hyderabadi method of making dal recipe with red lentils often eaten with roti or parathas or rice. Masoor ki dal is also sometimes called khadi dal in Hyderabadi recipes and is the most delicious dal recipes with an easy way of making it.
The dal gets tender very quickly and all we need is few onions and tomatoes with some spices and herbs to make this yummy dal which is a favorite among every hyderabadi household...
This red lentil dal recipe tastes good when served with rice... It can also be served with parathas...
The texture of the dal is smooth and can be made thick to thin as per the consistency required...
Here I have brown the onions and sauteed with ginger garlic paste... This way of cooking gives a real taste to the dal and it also gives a flavorful aroma into the dal...
I have not used whole masoor dal but here I have used split red lentils commonly called as masur dal in hindi and urdu...In telugu terms we can call it as erra kandipappu.
Different regions call it with different names and this dal is easily available in every region in India as well as in some International countries.
Here I have made it in close to Hyderabadi style but, it can be made in several forms like normal toor dal procedure too...
The dal can be washed and soaked for few minutes but in hurry we can also give few more extra whistles to tenderize the dal...
Hope my blog readers love this version of masoor dal as it the best dal recipe so far I have tried and tested...
Below are the recipe details and instructions on how to make this simple masur ki dal with aromatic flavours...
Masoor Dal Recipe, Masur Ki Daal
- 200 gms masoor dal/red dal
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 3 medium size onions finely sliced
- 4-5 vertically slit green chillies
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 2-3 medium size tomatoes finely chopped
- salt - to taste
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- 2-3 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 2 cups water
- Firstly wash and soak masoor dal for about half an hour and rest aside.
Pressure cooking the dal:
- In a pressure cooker add oil and heat it.
- Into it add sliced onions and saute till slight golden brown.
- Into it add slit green chillies, curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Into it add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, mix and cook for few minutes.
- Strain and add the soaked masoor dal into the cooker.
- Mix the whole mixture well.
- Cook the whole mixture for 5 minutes on low flame and stir in between.
- Add water and mix well.
- Cover the lid and pressure cook the dal until it is cooked well or pressure cook it up to 3 whistles on medium flame.
- Reduce the steam.
- Add salt as per taste, add freshly chopped coriander leaves, mix it up well.
- Cook the dal for about 5 minutes on low flame.
- Serve the dal with hot roti or paratha!!!