Mango Rice or Mamidikaya Pulihora is a delicious tangy flavoured rice made using steamed rice and raw green mangoes and added to it is aromatic tempering. Other rice recipes include curd rice, pudina rice, hyderabadi egg biryani .
Summers are usually filled with fragrance of raw mangoes and ripe mangoes all across the Indian markets and whenever we get them I try to make a mango recipe which tastes yum and also is a filling recipe.
This time I wanted to make a recipe with mango which is quite filling and also perfect to be eaten during breakfasts and I decided to make mamidikaya pulihora.
The mango pulihora is quite popular all across south india mainly in andhra region and everyone loves to eat this tangy mango rice recipe as their breakfast recipe in summers.
The recipe is quick, simple and takes in less time. All we need to keep handy is steamed rice or leftover rice and few basic ingredients for tempering. This yellow-coloured tangy rice is so good looking that one can't resist trying once we look at it or know about the recipe...
This recipe is referred with different names in various regions like it is called as mamidikaya pulihora and in some parts its termed as mangai sadam or mavinakayi chitranna....Same procedure and same taste but the names with which the recipe is referred is different in different regions...
The mangoes that are to be selected for the recipe should be raw mangoes and tangy flavored..They have to be peeled and grated...The grated mango that is added to the rice brings out the tangy flavor to the raw mango rice...
In south india mango pulihora is made during certain occasions and festivals too.... I prefer to make this as a snack recipe or it is a perfect filling breakfast recipe and also good to be eaten for lunch...
There are lots of rice recipes that are quick and simple in making, give flavor and aroma to the rice...I would be glad enough to write down various recipes that are easy, simple and yet taste yummy...
Mango Rice Recipe | Raw Mango Rice | Mamidikaya Pulihora
- 1 cup rice approx... 150 gms
- 1 raw mango medium size peeled and finely grated
- 2 tbsp full oil
- 1 tbsp peanuts/groundnuts
- 1 tsp chana dal/bengal gram
- 1 tsp urad dal/split black gram
- 4-5 vertically slit green chillies
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- salt - to taste
- ¾ th tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
Step 1:(Cook Rice):
- Firstly, in a cooking vessel, cook rice completely by adding some salt and water and rest it aside.
- In a wok, add oil and heat it.
- Into it add peanuts and stir well.
- Add chana dal, urad dal and stir well for few seconds.
- Add sit green chillies and saute well for few seconds.
- Add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add curry leaves and allow them to crackle.
- Add turmeric powder and salt as per taste and mix well on low flame.
- Add grated raw mango into it, mix well for few seconds.
- Add cooked rice into it, mix well and cook for a minute.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot!!!
2.The rice that is chosen to cook can be ordinary rice or basmati rice...
Have you tried or liked this recipe? If yes, then do drop your comments below and give us your feedback and also if you have any queries then do ask your questions in the comments section regarding the recipe and I shall try to reply your queries as soon as possible...