South Indian Egg Curry is a recipe made with eggs and spices in south Indian style where this kind of egg curry is found in various regions across south India. This egg curry is made by giving tempering and then adding ingredients like chopped onions and coconut paste and making a wonderful south indian method of egg curry that is perfect with rice or chapathi or paratha.
Related Egg Recipes which are must try:
As south indian sambar is popular, this curry too is quite popular down south.
It tastes well if fried boiled eggs are added to the egg curry and the recipe can be made for the whole family.
The ingredients that go into making the curry are basic one's such as chopped onions and tomatoes but as tempering is usually preferred in south indian style curries, this recipe is made in such method.
The egg curry tastes awesome with hot rice and eggs if boiled and fried and added they taste amazing. This recipe is perfect for winters as I have also added pepper powder in the curry and while frying eggs.
This south style curry does not have tamarind extract and it requires few main ingredients like coconut paste or coconut milk. This recipe I am sure would be loved by my readers as it tastes really good.
Egg curries can be made in several ways and in south india different people make egg curries in different way and I would be glad to share many more ways to make south indian curries as I update.
The spices that are added are basic and no garam masala is added and made purely by giving popu(tadka) and adding all the masala.
South Indian Egg Curry Recipe
- 3 boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 cup chopped onions 2 medium size onions approx...
- 3-4 slit green chillies
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 - 4 to matoes blend and make a puree
- 2 tbsp roasted coconut paste/1 cup coconut milk
- salt - to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds powder
- 2 tsp coriander seeds powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 cup water
- Firstly, take a cooking vessel, add oil and heat it.
- Into it add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add chopped onions, slit green chillies, curry leaves and saute for few minutes until onions get soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute well to get rid of raw smell.
- Add the blended tomato puree, stir and cook for few minutes on low flame until oil starts separating.
- Add the spices such as salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander seeds powder, cumin seeds powder, black pepper powder and mix well.
- Cook the whole mixture until the masala is cooked well or until oil starts leaving the sides.
- Add roasted coconut paste(preferred)/ coconut milk and mix well.
- Cook the masala until oil is seen at the sides.
- Add coriander leaves and mix.
- Add little water as per the thickness of the gravy preferred.
- Cover the lid and cook on low flame for ten to fifteen minutes.
For the eggs:
- In a pan, add a tsp of oil and heat it.
- Add boiled eggs, add salt, pinch of turmeric powder, pinch of red chilli powder, black pepper powder and fry them by stirring in between.
- Add these fried eggs to the egg curry.
- Serve the curry with steamed rice!!!