South Indian Sambar Recipe : This recipe is the traditional South Indian recipe since ages. Sambar is as popular in South India as dal recipes.
Related South Indian Recipes:
- South Indian Egg Curry Recipe
- Tomato Rasam Recipe South Indian Style
- Masala Dosa Recipe
- Bread upma
- rava dosa
Sambar recipe is a variation of dal recipe where the dal is mixed with different kinds of vegetables like drumsticks, radish, lady’s finger or okra, bottle gourd, carrots, pumpkin, brinjal/eggplant etc… Also adding onions and tomatoes along with tamarind pulp to give some tangy flavor to the recipe.
Sambar is mainly originated in South Indian kitchens and is also common in Sri Lankan cuisine. It is basically a vegetable stew in dal and a tangy touch to it.
Sambar can be prepared in various ways and is adapted differently in different states of south india. The main ingredient which is essential in making sambar recipe is sambar powder.
Every sambar is almost the same but vegetables are added according to our own choice and also the sambar powder is made differently in different states.
Andhra sambar recipe, Kerala sambar recipe and there are also mixed veg sambar recipes which shall be updated as I update my blog. In this particular sambar recipe post I have used drumsticks as the opted vegetable and this is the commonly chosen vegetable for sambar making.
Being a food blogger I love to try out various recipes and inspire others to try and cook. The recipes of mine are tried and tested and would love to receive feedbacks from my readers on my recipes. Any queries on my recipes can be posted by using comments section below or through our contact form.
This south indian sambar recipe for rice is made with the ready made available sambar powder from the market and sambar powder can be made at home as well. The powder is made with some spices and cereals which are dry roasted and grounded into a powder.
The recipe here is made to be eaten with rice but sambar also varies depending on the main dish we eat like rice or idli etc…
Let us look at the detailed instructions on How to make south indian sambar recipe for rice.
South Indian sambar recipe for rice:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 -5 dried red chillies
- 5 - 6 curry leaves
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 2 medium sized onions thickly sliced
- 3 medium sized tomatoes thickly sliced
- 2 drumsticks cut into long pieces
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1½ cups of toor dal/yellow lentils
- 1 large lemon size tamarind extracted pulp
- 1 tbsp sambar powder
- Firstly, in a pressure cooker, add toor dal, a pinch of turmeric, 2 cups of water and pressure cook the dal well, reduce the steam, mash the dal well and rest it aside.
- Take a cooking pot, add oil and heat it, add 1 tsp cumin seeds, add 1 tsp mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Into it, add asafoetida, add fenugreek seeds, dried chillies, curry leaves, saute well.
- Add the chopped onions, sliced tomatoes, drumstick pieces into it and mix well.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, mix and cook for about 2 minutes on sim flame.
- Add 1 cup of water and cook the drumsticks for about five to ten minutes.
- Add the mashed dal into the drumstick curry and mix.
- Add tamarind extracted pulp into the sambar and stir well.
- Add water as per requirement if the sambar is thick.
- Add salt according to taste and add sambar powder.
- Bring the sambar to a boil.
- Serve hot with rice!!!
Recipe Video on How To Make South Indian Sambar: