Bendakaya Pulusu recipe is an authentic south indian style andhra region bendakaya pulusu or a tamarind gravy which is made with bendakaya that is okra in english and bhindi in telugu.
Some more interesting bendakaya recipes:
Many vegetables are cooked in tamarind gravy and non veg too goes well with the pulusu kind gravies and some of the sour gravies on the blog are egg pulusu, majjiga pulusu, pachi pulusu and all these taste tangy and delicious….
Pulusu basically is a tamarind gravy and most of the vegetables are tried as pulusu such as benadakaya pulusu, sorakaya pulusu, kakarakaya pulusu, egg pulusu, pachi pulusu etc…
I have tried many pulusu recipes and these recipes taste yummy and someone who prefers tangy taste in food can make them and have it with hot rice.
If one comes to south india tamarind gravies are mostly found and they are called as pulusu with vegetables or we can even make them with non veg recipes like fish and chicken.
Pulusu or pulusu kura or koora is mostly made in a similar way everywhere and some like to give tempering or tadka in the beginning or some prepare it without giving tadka…
Here I have not given tempering and it tastes really awesome…They go perfectly with steamed rice and with some fries. These can be made in many variations and they are a wonderful way to make different vegetables.
Along with tamarind gravy, pulusu also takes onions and chopped tomatoes which forms the gravy.
Below are the recipe details for pulusu recipe which is easy and simple in making…
Bendakaya Pulusu Recipe Below:
- ¼ kg bendakaya/okra cut into medium large pieces
- oil - 2 tbsp
- 3 medium size onions, finely sliced
- 2-3 slit green chillies
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 medium size tomatoes, finely chopped
- salt - to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp roasted coriander seeds powder
- ½ tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 lemon size tamarind extracted pulp
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves
- sugar - a pinch
- Firstly, take a cooking vessel, into it add oil and heat it.
- Add sliced onions, green chillies, curry leaves and saute till onions get soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute to get rid of raw smell.
- Add chopped tomatoes, saute for few minutes.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander seeds powder, cumin seeds powder, mix and cook on low flame until the masala leaves oil from the sides.
- Add the bendakaya/bhindi pieces and saute delicately, cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
- Add the tamarind pulp into it, mix well.
- Add little water about half a cup.
- Add coriander leaves, curry leaves(2-3) and add sugar if the gravy is too tangy.
- Bring the whole mixture to a boil and let the pulusu cook until the okra gets soft.
- Enjoy the bendakaya pulusu with steamed rice!!!
2.Tempering/popu of mustard seeds and cumin seeds too can be given in the beginning to give a variation to the recipe.