Egg Curry Recipe is a delicious curry recipe made to eat with fried boiled eggs and the curry takes in basic ingredients like onions and tomatoes to make this egg curry or anda curry recipe.
Egg Curry is the most common and sought after curry in south india and is definitely one of my favorites in egg recipes.
We usually make many kinds of egg curries in various ways and since there are quite a few egg recipes on my blog I thought of sharing some of the egg recipes as I keep updating my blog.
This egg curry has got slight tangy flavor as I have made the egg curry in south indian style and in this region many recipes such as fish and egg consist of tamarind extracted pulp which brings a khatta meetha taste into the curry. This kind of curry is usually served in some of the hyderabadi food joints.
This egg curry which has been prepared goes very well with rice. If the gravy desired is thick then do not add more water but, if the egg curry desired is thin then add water as per your requirement. Adding too much of water gives an imbalance of spices in the curry. Therefore, one should be careful in adding the spices and check whether the flavors are intact.
I always prefer to fry eggs a little bit and add it to the curry. Adding plain boiled eggs is a big no no for me and I suggest to fry the eggs slightly as they taste well when eating this curry with eggs and rice.
Egg is a wonderful ingredient and one can cook various dishes with ease and quickly. I would love to post various egg recipes for my blog readers to try it out and have fun having them.
This egg curry recipe requires basic ingredients like onions, tomatoes and tamarind pulp and poppy seeds which give a yummy taste to the dish.
Instructions on how to make egg curry recipe or anda curry below:
- 4 boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 medium size onion finely chopped(1 cup)
- 3-4 vertically slit green chillies
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 medium size onions paste
- 1 tbsp roasted poppy seeds paste(khus khus)
- 3 medium size tomatoes puree/paste
- salt - to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 small lemon size tamarind extracted pulp
- 1 tsp roasted coriander seeds powder
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Firstly, take a cooking vessel, add oil and heat it.
- Add chopped onions into it, saute for few seconds.
- Add slit green chillies and curry leaves and saute for a while until the onions get soft and not brown color.
- Add ginger garlic paste into it and saute to get rid of raw smell.
- Add onion paste into it and saute and cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- Add roasted poppy seeds paste, mix and saute for a while.
- Add tomato paste into it, add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, mix and cook the whole masala gravy until oil is separated.
- Keep stirring in between to avoid the masala sticking to the base.
- When the tomatoes are cooked well, add tamarind extracted pulp.
- Add little water as per requirement.
- Mix well, check for salt and add if required, add coriander seeds powder, mix and bring the whole mixture to a boil on low flame.
- Take a wok, add a tablespoon of oil and heat it, add boiled eggs, sprinkle salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder and fry them for about a minute or two.
- Add these boiles eggs to the egg curry.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice!!!
2.Poppy seeds paste can be skipped if the flavor of poppy seeds is not preferred.
3.Always slit the eggs in between with the knife before putting them for frying so that the masala goes inside.