Methi Chicken Recipe is a delicious hyderabadi delight made from fresh methi leaves and chicken. This methi chicken is a rarely made recipe.
Methi Chicken goes well with roti recipes and parathas and the fragrance of the methi leaves that comes out from the dish is superdelicious… Methi gosht which is usually made using mutton and methi is also a favorite among many readers…
This is ofcourse an authentic hyderabadi cuisine but now it is rarely made… Some may not prefer using this combination but if followed with proper technique then the bitter taste from the leaves can be removed.
Other non veg collections:
In order to use methi leaaves with chicken or mutton and if one dislikes the bitter flavor, it can be removed by mixing salt in methi leaves and setting aside until it leaves moisture. After it leaves moisture squeeze out the leaves and the leaves can be used….Following this method helps in reducing the bitter flavor to certain extent.
If one is good with the bitter taste of the leaves then do use the normal leaves without removing its bitter taste which also tastes good.
Methi is a gifted green leafy vegetable which is beneficial in many ways with respect to health and having it in many forms and utilizing it to make many dishes with variations can make our life healthier….
The methi chicken is made using onion paste, yogurt, methi leaves…No tomatoes have been used. It is in the form of a gravy …
The taste of the recipe is purely like a restaurant one and something which could be found in dhabas but the dish goes good with hot chapathis or rotis…
How to make methi chicken or methi murgh below:
- 500 gms chicken cleaned and washed well with lemon extract and water
- salt - to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder(haldi)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds powder(dhaniya powder)
- 2 cups yogurt/curd
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 medium size ginger piece
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 4-5 chopped green chillies
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamoms
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 bunches - freshly chopped methi leaves/fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp black pepper corn powder
- Firstly, in a bowl add chicken pieces, into it add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander seeds powder, beaten yogurt.
- Mix everything well and rest the marinade aside or rest in refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- In a blender, add onions, ginger piece, garlic piece, green chillies and blend into a fine paste.
- In a bowl, add methi leaves, add salt and rest it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- When the leaves get moist, squeeze out the leaves.
- Use the squeezed leaves in the curry or use the normal leaves if one is fine with the bitter taste.
- In a cooking vessel, add oil and heat it.
- Add cinnamon stick, add cardamoms, add cloves and saute well.
- Add the blended paste(onion, green chillies, ginger, garlic).
- Cook for few minutes and keep stirring the masala until it turns very slight brown.
- Add the squeezed methi leaves into it and saute them for few minutes.
- Add the chicken marinade into it.
- Roast it well for few minutes on high to medium flame by stirring.
- Add garam masala powder, black pepper corn powder, mix and roast well.
- Add little water if required, cover the lid.
- Cook it on medium to low flame until the chicken gets tender.
- Garnish with crushed kasuri/kasoori methi(optional).
- Serve it with roti or rice!!!