Aloo Kurma Recipe which is usually known as potato kurma is a gravy kind of aloo curry and is similar to other kurma recipes like veg kurma, mutton korma etc which are all rich in making and this particular recipe is made of diced aloo pieces and some nutty ingredients.
About the recipe
This kurma goes well as a wonderful accompaniment be it with roti or rice. This recipe is a traditional Hyderabadi kurma recipe into which I have added ingredients like poppy seeds, coconut paste and beaten yoghurt to make it rich. I have also shared aloo ka paratha which can be served with this kurma.
This gravy goes well with biryani recipes too and any special rice recipes like veg pulao or any veg or non veg biryani and chapathi or paratha.
This kurma curry can also be prepared during occasions as a special delicacy and served with fried eggs and bagara rice.
We often make this special recipe with potato and I must say that this is one dish to be definitely tried and the end result is amazing. The recipe is simple and mostly made in Hyderabad city in south India.
In Hyderabad, any kurma recipes are seasoned with coriander and mint leaves and this recipe also has the same procedure where I have lastly added fresh herbs which give a fresh aroma to the korma and that is what makes us have this korma in a special way.
Without fresh herbs the dish is incomplete and my advice is to add those herbs to lift up the flavours of the korma.
The kurma too can be made in a variety of ways and this post is one way of making it...however, there are several other ways that can be tried to make this delicious recipe using tomatoes and onion gravies too.
The kurma made here can be cooked normally or can be pressure cooked.
The aloo kurma or aloo korma made here is rich in yoghurt and other nutty ingredients which usually go in making kurma recipes...
Aloo Kurma Recipe, Potato Kurma Recipe
- 4-5 medium sized potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium size chopped onion
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- salt - to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2-3 vertically slit green chillies
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp black pepper corn powder
- ½ tsp coriander seeds powder
- 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
For The Kurma Paste:
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds khus khus
- 2 tbsp deep fried onions paste fry 3-4 medium size sliced onions till brown and make a paste
- 2 tbsp beaten yogurt
- Firstly take a pan, heat it and dry roast desiccated coconut for few minutes and put it aside.
- Dry roast poppy seeds(khus khus) for few seconds and put it aside.
- Take a blender, add roasted coconut and roasted poppy seeds together, powder them, add little water then blend into a paste and keep aside for later use.
- Take a cooking vessel or pressure cooker, add oil and heat it.
- Add chopped onions, slit green chillies and saute until translucent or light brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell disappears.
- Add diced potatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the blended coconut and poppy seeds paste and mix.
- Add salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix.
- Cook on sim flame by covering the lid until oil is separated for 2-3 minutes.
- Add fried onion paste and beaten yogurt, mix it well.
- Cook on low flame till oil is separated .
- Add water as per the thickness of the gravy desired.
- Pressure cook the aloo for 3 whistles on high flame or cook until the aloo gets soft.
- Add coriander leaves and mint leaves, garam masala powder, black pepper powder, coriander seeds powder, mix everything well.
- Cook the whole mixture for about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with fried boiled eggs and rice pulao.
- One can skip the adding of potatoes in the beginning and can lastly add boiled potato cubes to the cooked kurma masala which is a healthy option.
- Also one can add whole spices at the beginning for a more spicy flavour.
- Nutty ingredients like cashew nut paste too can be added into the masala aloo kurma curry while cooking the gravy.
- Here the kurma is slightly thick and more water can be added if desired consistency is thin.