Aloo Pakora Recipe or aloo pakoda recipe or aloo bajji is a snacks pakora recipe that can be taken as a tea time snack. They are simple and easy fritters made with besan and potatoes and so are called as potato pakora recipe or potato fritters.
The pakora/pakoda are usually fritters made with lentils or lentils flour. The pakodas can be made any kind of dal be it chana dal(chick peas), urad dal(split black gram), moong dal(green gram) etc…
Pakoda as a form of snacks are very common in India and all the other states of India. Everyone prefers to eat them during cold evenings or during rains or during tea time.
They come out very tasty and are almost liked by everyone. There are many kinds of pakoras that can be made like egg pakoda, palak pakoda, moong dal pakoda, urad dal pakoda, chana dal pakoda etc…
Among all the pakodas , onion pakodas are most commonly made, but aloo pakora recipe is very simple to make and also gives a different taste compared to the plain pakoda, they are soft to eat as well.
It is better to make aloo pakoda than just making plain pakora. Aloo pakora are sometimes also called as aloo bajji or aloo bhajiya in different places.
The pakora or fritters are basically made with chana dal flour or chick pea flour batter and into it goes any kind of stuffings like palak or egg or potatoes etc…
The pakoda is commonly made as a ramazan special item during iftars. The iftars are usually done with a snack item as they tend to be hot and give a taste to the tongue after breaking a long fast.
During Ramazan every kind of snack item is made and relished. Using chick peas for pakoda gives a taste and enhances the taste if stuffings are used.
Find the detailed Aloo pakora recipe below:
Aloo Pakora Recipe, Aloo bajji
- 1 cup chick pea flour besan
- salt to taste
- a pinch of baking soda
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 potato made into round slices as we make for potato chips
- water to make the batter
- oil for deep frying
- Firstly, boil the potato pieces in salt water for about 5 minutes and rest them aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add besan(chick pea flour), baking soda, add salt, add red chilli powder, add turmeric powder, add ginger garlic paste, coriander seeds powder.
- Mix all the ingredients well and gradually add water and mix well until a we get thick batter but not a runny batter.
- Mix the batter until there are no lumps formed.
- Heat oil for frying and set the flame on sim.
- Take each slice of potato, dip it into the batter and coat the potato with batter on all sides.
- Take the dipped potato slice and drop it into the heated oil.
- Similarly, continue doing the same with rest of the potato slices and batter.
- Fry the potato slices on medium flame until all sides get a golden colour.
- Remove them and place them on an absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with any chutney or sauce or ketchup or with tea.
2.Also one thing to be remembered while frying is they should not be fried on high flame as the outer side gets darker and the inner batter may not cook well.
3.It is better to fry on sim to medium flame.
4.Adding soda makes the pakora fluffy and soft.