Chicken sukka, a recipe which is quite popular in south indian mangalorean region made using masala paste which is neither too dry nor a gravy curry.
Other unique and popular non veg recipes on the blog are palak chicken, chicken tikka recipe, kfc chicken recipe, chicken biryani recipe, chicken manchurian , mutton curry , chicken fried rice, chicken masala, chicken 65, punjabi chicken, chilli chicken, chicken seekh kabab, pepper chicken, chicken malai tikka. These are some of the popular Indian chicken recipes posted on the blog with videos too.
Other chicken related recipes which are quite popular regional chicken recipes on the blog are andhra chicken curry which is a very known south indian chicken curry and chicken rezala, a known bengali style of chicken curry. Also try chicken curry in indian style from the blog.
Also there are other regional recipes too such as hyderabadi chicken which is a kind of korma recipe commonly made in Hyderabadi households.
This particular dish is made using regular home made available kitchen ingredients and it is a non vegetarian dish.
It is basically made up of chicken and a masala paste made using coconut and onions.
Here, I have made it in south indian style by adding curry leaves into it and doing so makes it a south indian touch to the curry.
However, we can also make it in different variations and make it apt to be eaten by other regions as well such as goan, coastal regions.
Chicken is one particular non veg ingredient which is highly preferred by one and everyone. It is made in various ways and I would like to share every chicken recipe on my blog as I keep updating my recipes.
Hope my viewers enjoy making my chicken recipes and do share your feedback on our recipes.
How to make chicken sukka:
This uses mainly chicken and some of the basic ingredients which are handy and usually available at home like onions, tomatoes, coconut, dry spices, curry leaves, herbs etc…
Here, I have made use of desiccated coconut but the taste of the dish turns out even more yum if fresh coconut powder is used as well.
How to use fresh coconut:
In south india, fresh coconut is easily available and one can easily make its powder by removing the fresh coconut from its shell, cutting the coconut into pieces and making a powder by blending the fresh coconut in a blender.
The fresh coconut can then be roasted on low flame in a pan until all the moisture goes away.
Easy or difficult:
It is a very simple and easy dish once the masala paste is ready and it just takes the simple cooking time which a normal chicken curry takes and is a semi gravy curry recipe.
Chicken sukka tastes good if slow cooked and is one of the yummiest chicken curries made in south indian regions.
Below I have shared the recipe instructions on how to make this simple south indian mangalorean style chicken sukka.
Hope my viewers like this recipe and do not forget to tag us on instagram and also do not forget to follow us on all our social media handles…
sukka chicken video recipe:
Mangalorean style of making chicken sukka:
chicken sukka recipe mangalorean style
To make chicken sukka masala paste:
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion finely sliced
To make chicken sukka:
- 500 gms chicken cleaned and washed well with lemon juice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies slit vertically and chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp roasted coriander powder/dhaniya powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder/kali mirch powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp jeera powder/roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Making of chicken sukka masala paste:
- Take a pan, dry roast 1 cup of desiccated coconut powder on low flame until the coconut turns very slight brown in color.
- Take the roasted coconut out on a plate.
- In a pan, add 1 tbsp oil, add sliced onions and roast the onions for few minutes until the color of onions slightly changes.
- Switch off the flame and allow the ingredients to cool down.
- Take a blender, add the roasted onions and desiccated coconut into a blender, make a paste of them by adding little water.
- Make a smooth fine paste and rest aside for later use.
Making of chicken sukka:
- In a wok, add 2 tbsp oil and heat it.
- Add chopped onion into it, add 4-5 curry leaves, slit green chillies, add salt as per taste and saute until onions turn slight golden color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell disappears.
- Add chicken pieces, roast the chicken for few minutes by stirring until the color of chicken changes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt if required, mix, allow the chicken and masala to be cooked well.
- Add 2 chopped tomatoes, mix and cook them until soft.
- Add the roasted coconut and onion paste into the chicken, mix and cook the masala until oil starts leaving the sides.
- Add dry spices such as dhaniya powder, pepper powder, garam masala powder, jeera powder, mix well.
- Cook the chicken and masala on low flame by covering the lid and cook until the chicken gets soft and tender.
- lastly, add freshly chopped coriander leaves, mix and cook well.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot with steamed rice and chapathi.
- If one wants to make this curry in a more gravy form, then adding 1/2 to 1 cup of water gives a delicious gravy to the curry while cooking and also helps in serving many more...