Chicken tikka recipe, is a dried chicken recipe usually served as a starter or as a chicken snack recipe.
Here, to make chicken tikka I have followed the traditional way of making chicken tikka using satay sticks by stringing chicken pieces with onion, tomato, green capsicum.
Trying out unique chicken recipes is something that I always prefer and such unique chicken dishes on blog are chicken do pyaza, chicken changezi, palak chicken, chicken pakora, chicken sukka, chicken masala, dahi chicken , chicken keema etc… which are amazing different style of chicken recipes that taste amazing with phulka, soft chapati or rice.
There are also other indian chicken recipes posted on the blog which are a great hit among my blog viewers and would be glad to even share requested recipes related to chicken.
I have alreay shared some more interesting chicken recipes on the blog such as chilli chicken, chicken seekh kabab, chicken keema, chicken biryani in cooker, hyderabadi chicken curry, chicken spring rolls etc… which are different chicken recipes to be tried using chicken.
This is a traditional Punjabi chicken starter recipe and is a dry chicken item. Usually chicken tikka is made in tandoor or an oven but the main idea behind posting my recipe is to make chicken tikka on a pan with an ease and yet get the same delicious taste of tandoori chicken tikka.
I have shared the procedure of making tikka along with a video and also showed in the video how to string the chicken with the veggies.
The vegetables opted can be of our own choice but the vegetables added to the chicken sticks in the recipe are the basic veggies and are commonly used while making kababs.
However, we can use different colors of bell peppers if they are available like yellow bell peppers, red bell peppers which add yummy flavors to the chicken tikka.
Difficulty level of making this recipe:
1.It is very easy to make this recipe and we only need to have kabab sticks and even if one does not have them at home we can simply add the marinated chicken pieces on the pan and cook them until they are done.
2. We need to separately saute the veggies and not cook along with the chicken. Sauteing the veggies for about 10 minutes on medium flame is more than enough.
3. Cooked chicken and the sauteed veggies can be mixed altogether and served.
Do we require tandoor or oven:
It is not mandatory to have an oven or a tandoor and this dish can be made on tawa or a pan. But the pan used has to be non stick and it can spoil the dish if the pan is not a non stick one.
If one has a tandoor then, do use the tandoor to make chicken tikka or cook the chicken tikka sticks in an oven.
How to make chicken tikka recipe:
Just marinating the boneless chicken pieces in yogurt, spices and veggies and then string the chicken pieces and vegetables to the kabab sticks and cooking them until the chicken gets soft is chicken tikka making procedure.
Using of kabab sticks:
1.Using kabab sticks definitely adds appeal to the dish but, if one does not find them, cook the tikka without sticks on a pan. However, they are easily available in grocery stores or supermarkets.
2. Before using the sticks, they have to be soaked in water for about 30 minutes and this step is usually followed in order to avoid burning of the sticks while cooking.
Do check out the video and the written step by step recipe below and do send us your feedback and queries regarding this recipe using the comment box below.
We appreciate your feedback and will help us in making many more recipes and keep updated with recipe blogging…
Video procedure to make chicken tikka recipe without oven:
Chicken tikka recipe card below:
chicken tikka recipe | without oven or tandoor
- 250 gms boneless chicken pieces
- 1 cup beaten yogurt
- salt - to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed kasoori methi
- 1 tbsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp edible oil
- 1/4 tsp red food color
- 2 onions cut into cubes
- 1 green capsicum cut into cubes
- 2 to matoes deseeded and cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp oil for shallow frying
- Satay sticks/kabab sticks or wooden skewers for stringing chicken and diced veggies
- lemon wedges
- freshly chopped coriander leaves
- onion rings
- Firstly, take a bowl, into it, add beaten yogurt, salt to taste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, garam masala powder.
- Add kasoori methi, lemon extract, edible oil, food color.
- Mix all the ingredients well and mix without any lumps in the batter.
- Add the boneless chicken pieces into it.
- Give a mix.
- Add the onion cubes, green capsicum cubes, diced tomatoes, mix all the ingredients well.
- Cover the marinade with a lid.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Take the chicken marinade out.
- Take satay sticks or kabab sticks, soak the sticks for about 30 minutes before using in order to avoid burning.
- Take each stick, make a string of tomato, onion, green capsicum and chicken.
- Continue stringing tomato, onion, capsicum and chicken to the rest of the chicken sticks in the same pattern.
- Take a non stick pan, add 2 tbsp oil and heat it.
- Place the chicken sticks on the pan.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes on medium flame.
- Turn the chicken tikka sticks and cook the other side too for 6-8 minutes.
- Keep turning and cook each side for 4-5 minutes on low flame until each side of the chicken is cooked well.
- When all the sides of the chicken tikka sticks are done well, switch off the flame.
- Take them out and serve them on a plate.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, onion rings and lemon wedges.
- Enjoy as a starter.
2 Marinating the chicken for a long time helps in infusing all the flavors into the chicken while cooking.
3. One does not require tandoor or oven to make it and can be easily cooked on a pan.